XPEnology Community

Poor file copy performance

unmesh

I have Xpenology now running on two 64-bit machines. They have Intel Gigabit NICs as does my PC running Windows 7 and they are all on the same Gigabit switch.

I can get file copy speeds of close to 100MB/s between my PC and either of the NAS units using Windows Explorer to do the drag-and-drop. However, if I mount one of the NAS volumes in File Station of the other NAS and do a drag-and-drop copy within File Station, the transfer performance is halved! CPU utilization is negligible.

Does File Station use a different (and underperforming!) protocol than the CIFS/SMB between Windows and the NAS?

How might I get the performance to improve?

I tried rsync but the transfer performance was the same while the CPU utilization went up, especially on the NAS from which the data was being read.

A Web search revealed that a performance boost could be had for compressed files by reducing the amount of compression being attempted by rsync and my transfer speed is now around 100MB/s :mrgreen:

You need to switch from the default zlib compressor to arcfour to turn off compression, as in (boldface for emphasis):

rsync -aivx -W -e 'ssh -c arcfour -o Compression=no -x' 192.168.1.205://volume1/Share1/Videos .

I'm still curious as to what is happening with drag-and-drop in File Station

• 1 month later...

yes speed of SMB copy from one Xpenology to another is pretty bad.

I work around it by using the backup and replication app

backup from one box to another, then just move the folders / files

you will get full speed of the network this way.

eg

SMB copy = approx 50-60mb/s

backup (which is really rsync) = 115-120mb/s