XPEnology Community

XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.1 build 2668++ (more hardware)

Andy928

http://yadi.sk/d/T3MbhAIK22OPL

This archive have three files:

SynoBoot_3612xs_4.1++.img - Image file of synology boot disk (Use RAW-COPY tool to create the USB stick http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/)

SynoBoot_3612xs_4.1++.vdi - VirtualBox boot disk.

DSM_DS3612xs_2668.pat - xpenology DS3612xs software installer.

P.S.

For VirtualBox and other VM !!!

Don't forget to set MAC address of Network Adapter1 in virtualbox "00113208D62A".

List of supported hardware:

Virtual machine

VirtualBox

VMware

CPU

Intel

AMD

NETWORK

3COM 3c590/3c900 series (592/595/597), 3cr990

AMD PCnet32

Atheros L2, L1

Broadcom 440x/47xx, NetExtremeII, CNIC, Tigon, NetExtreme II 10Gb

Intel PRO/100+, PRO/1000, 82575/82576, 82586/82593/82596

Marvell Yukon

Nvidia nForce

QLogic QLA3XXX, QLCNIC

Realtek 8139,8129,8130,8169

SiS SiS900/7016, SiS190/SiS191

SATA

Intel ESB, ICH, PIIX3, PIIX4

Marvell

NVidia

Silicon Image 3124/3132

SiS 964/965/966/180

SCSI

3ware 9xxx SATA RAID, 97xx SAS SATA RAID

Adaptec AIC94xx

Marvell 88SE64XX/88SE94XX SAS SATA

LSI Logic MegaRAID, MPT Fusion SAS 2.0

VMWare PVSCSI

Any question - welcome to thread !

Hi Andy. Thx for your great work with this.

I hav som trouble with the usb ports, wont recognize extern hard drive. My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3, 6 x 3 TB seagate connected, 4 Gb ram, and Core I7 processor. Everything else works fine but the USB ports are there any hope to solve this? Didnt have any problems installing by USB.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for this build with additional drivers.

Now the issues :?:

1. If I try to install on 3ware controller there is no option, as the disk is not seen in the initail installation wizzard(web page).

when looking at the console when booting I see that SCSI controller is detected as removable drive. I think this is the problem why I can't install on RAID disk.

2. If I install on SATA the install goes OK but after reboot when almost all is loaded, the DS goes to shutdown.

If I unplug the RAID controller then everything is working OK. Except RAID of course:(

I would upload the log file, but I don't have permission so here are some errors I think my help:

Jan 23 04:35:56 synoindexd: synoindexd.c:65 SYNOShareEnum failed, synoerr=0xB500

Jan 23 04:36:00 index.cgi: external_microp_id_check.c:44 Fail to open synobios

platform error

Jan 23 04:36:00 poweroff: init/halt.c (76) Fail to shmget from LCM module. Error=No such file or directory

Jan 23 04:36:00 syno_poweroff_task: syno_poweroff_task.c:83 Fail to Terminate scemd

Jan 23 04:36:00 synosshdutils: synosshdutils.c:239 Failed to remove key [sftpd], errno=No such file or directory. [0x0900 file_get_key_value.c:56]

Jan 23 04:36:00 synosshdutils: synosshdutils.c:194 Failed to fopen [/tmp/sshd.reference]. err=No such file or directory

Jan 23 04:36:01 kernel: [ 51.793911] 3w-9xxx: scsi0: ERROR: (0x03:0x0101): Invalid command opcode:opcode=0xA1.

Jan 23 04:36:01 index.cgi: external_microp_id_check.c:44 Fail to open synobios

platform error

hello,

on esxi 5 after install of the dsm, the virtual machine reboot and error 22

thank you in advance

[attachment=0]grub.jpg[/attachment]

I had the same problem. Use the first version published in the forum. That one works.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1

Unfortunately there is no support for VMWare PVSCSI on this version

it can not run on esxi 5

YES, it runs on VMware ESXi 5.1 and VMware Workstation 9 :smile:

For me the following workaround did the trick:

- install DSM 4.1-2668++ as described in VirtualBox (in my case a mac)

- import synoboot.vdi as disk1 for boot (IDE)

- create the second disk, disk2.vmdk, in vmware vmdk format (SATA)

- after the VirtualBox install is done and your DSM is running, shut down the vm.

- convert the synoboot.vdi to synoboot.vmdk

vboxmanage clonehd synoboot.vdi synoboot.vmdk --format VMDK

- copy both vmdk files to your VMware DataStore

- create a new VMware Virtual Machine (same settings as for VirtualBox)

- import synoboot.vmdk (which is imported as ide)

- import disk2.vmdk (which is also imported as ide)

- fire up your vm and start to dance ...

I did it several times that way without any problems.

IDE drives are seen as md devices, that is why it will fail on esx 5 (or workstation 9)

The firmware image will be overwritten during install.

I managed to get it to work by restoring the firmware image after install.

Would be better if ide devices would not be mapped into md devices.

If i have time i will look into it this weekend.

Cheers

Hi All, since i'm not good at recompiling drivers (USB webcam driver for monitoring station please ?) i can at least document my trials to share (a little) something...

Also logged separatly the errors encountered, to avoid newbie questions :grin:

VMWare Player 5.0.1 install with XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.1 build 2668++:

. Enabled "Virtualization support" in BIOS, otherwise no 64 bit support for the VM

. Installed "VMWARE Player"

. In VMWare Player VM settings, removed CD, Floppy, Added serial port

. In VMWare Player VM settings, added USB 2.0 controller (could be fun to test USB 3.0 is such a port is present, and to test performance)

. In VMWare Player VM settings, ticked in Settings > Processor "Virtualize Intel VT-s/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" and "Virtualize CPU Performance Counters" (Have i5 processor)

. In VMWare Player VM settings, Configured NIC as bridge mode or HostOnly + Configured DNS for virtual NIC as the NIC IP (192.168.206.1 by default) and use Mac address: 00:11:32:08:D6:2A

. In VMWare Player VM Folder "C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Virtual Machines\XPEnology" i have added in file "XPEnology.vmx" the entry: ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e" and you will have gigabit speed instead of 100MB detected as 0 in control panel > network > Netowrk Interface : network status

. In VMWare Player VM settings, created an IDE disk 2TB size (64GB is too small, SCSI Fails formating) but my SSD size was 64GB, no pb there

. Used "StarWind V2V Image Converter" to convert IMG to VMDK and did a copy of the vmdk (usefull if getting error 22 on boot after failed install, always keep a good backup file)

. Loaded VMDK file as IDE

. Used "Synology Assistant" (doesn't work with XPEnology web interface directly despite the possibility to load *.pat file) scanned, then right-click>install, and loaded xpenology *.pat file, and got Error 22 at re-boot as expected

. restored VMDK from backup, installation continued

. Install Finished, and it is working. Thanks again for this great package

Tips, errors encountered + Fix:

. The IDE 200MB VMDK disk will be recognised as well, so the raid won't be automatically created

. After install attempt, error 22 at the console after boot-up. restore VMDK from backup keeping a good backup still

. Went http://192.168.206.128:5000 and selected to "install DSM from my computer or installation disk" but got an error "An error occurred during installation. The telnet service of Diskstation is turned ON for error determination. Please configure your router to forward port 23 to Diskstation, and then contact synology online support. (21)". AND "Synology Assistant" gave partition format error and Error 22 at re-boot. Disk size was too small (used 64GB. 2000GB was subsequently ok).

. Originally, I didn't put the MAC address "00113208D62A"in "VMWare Player" and it still worked. Apparently, it's only needed if you have more than one instance of a synology OS on the network

. Try to use IDE disk format, it's not recognised for the HSR raid as expected...[/code]

[EDIT]Bonus!!!! I tried an intel atom package for USB webcam: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/4qludm9rf5k079j/webcam-intel-41.zip?dl=1

Source: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=49790&start=150

I needed to reboot, time out half the time when launching the webcam module, but can show the video using webcam application.

USB device not detected in "external devices" but that's normal. Go into surveillance station, put the following to have surveillance station work:

. IP Address: 127.0.0.1
  . Port: 5000
  . Brand: [user Define]
  . Path: /webman/3rdparty/webcam/webcam.cgi
  . Login: admin
  . Password: your admin password

Module drivers included the same way controller driver and network was done:

. List of supported USB speakers/soundcard: http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/User_Reported_Compatible_USB_Speakers

. List of supported USB printers: http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?q_id=116〈=enu

. List of supported USB DVB-T (DTV) dongles by VideoStation http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?lang=enu&q_id=532

. List of Supported USB webcam (UVC compatible): http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/#devices By the USB Camera module (actually not compiled in kernel)

Repository: http://e-remonty.info/spkrepo/packages

. TVHeadEnd (cannot be running concurrently to VideoStation), add repository: http://www.synocommunity.com/packages

. Pay to use product: DVBLogic http://dvblogic.com/en/products/synology-x86-intel

Edited by Guest

what about Hyper-v support?

I tried to boot from converted .VDI file to .VHD, but synology is not detected from SynoAssistant.

I also converted .IMG file to .VHD but also not detected...

Probably the problem is in the network cards available in Hyper-v. I tried both (normal and legacy card)

Regards

Confirmed- Everything working on - Oldie but goodie. :grin::eek:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium.

SATA 8 ports

Dual NIC

Anyone needing rackmount server for extremely good price that is confirmed working with this release. Rackable servers on ebay from 100 and up are an ideal platform for XPEnology. Dual HDD all the way to 26 hdd.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2U-Rackmount-Ra ... 1e76f69bf3

Edited by Guest

Anyone have a thorough "how to" on installing additional drivers on XPEnology? I have an Adaptec RAID ASR-6805 that I want to add to my XPEnology NAS. The NAS is up and running but is lacking drivers for the Adaptec. I've tried Adaptecs instructions but it appears the process is different on XPEnology.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for this build with additional drivers.

Now the issues :?:

1. If I try to install on 3ware controller there is no option, as the disk is not seen in the initail installation wizzard(web page).

when looking at the console when booting I see that SCSI controller is detected as removable drive. I think this is the problem why I can't install on RAID disk.

2. If I install on SATA the install goes OK but after reboot when almost all is loaded, the DS goes to shutdown.

If I unplug the RAID controller then everything is working OK. Except RAID of course:(

I would upload the log file, but I don't have permission so here are some errors I think my help:

Jan 23 04:35:56 synoindexd: synoindexd.c:65 SYNOShareEnum failed, synoerr=0xB500

Jan 23 04:36:00 index.cgi: external_microp_id_check.c:44 Fail to open synobios

platform error

Jan 23 04:36:00 poweroff: init/halt.c (76) Fail to shmget from LCM module. Error=No such file or directory

Jan 23 04:36:00 syno_poweroff_task: syno_poweroff_task.c:83 Fail to Terminate scemd

Jan 23 04:36:00 synosshdutils: synosshdutils.c:239 Failed to remove key [sftpd], errno=No such file or directory. [0x0900 file_get_key_value.c:56]

Jan 23 04:36:00 synosshdutils: synosshdutils.c:194 Failed to fopen [/tmp/sshd.reference]. err=No such file or directory

Jan 23 04:36:01 kernel: [ 51.793911] 3w-9xxx: scsi0: ERROR: (0x03:0x0101): Invalid command opcode:opcode=0xA1.

Jan 23 04:36:01 index.cgi: external_microp_id_check.c:44 Fail to open synobios

platform error

Hi, I have the same problem here with an LSI Raid 9840 MegaRaid card.... put the card in and it fails to boot and just shuts down. Did you get anywhere with this issue? - thanks.

- after the VirtualBox install is done and your DSM is running, shut down the vm.

Hi,

I've tried this but all I get is no 2nd HD connected, can you provide more detailed steps?

Hi,

I've tried this but all I get is no 2nd HD connected, can you provide more detailed steps?

I assume the installation under VirtualBox went fine and DSM is up and running. There are two important things to check:

- use DSM 4.1-2668++ (IDE support)

- is your second disk in VMware after your import IDE or SCSI? It MUST be IDE.

You may also check viewtopic.php?f=2&t=514#p755 for VMware related stuff.

Hi,

I assume the installation under VirtualBox went fine and DSM is up and running. There are two important things to check:

- use DSM 4.1-2668++ (IDE support)

- is your second disk in VMware after your import IDE or SCSI? It MUST be IDE.

You may also check viewtopic.php?f=2&t=514#p755 for VMware related stuff.

Hi,

Yes, sorry, that'll be why it isn't 2668++, I'll go away and have another go :wink: and thanks for the link.

Hello,

I tried to install the XPEnology image on an Acer H340, but I had some problems with the network. The driver for the Marvell Yukon 88E8071 gigabit network adapter will not load, even it should be supported with 2668++ build.

Is there a chance, that the driver Marvell Yukon 2 (SKY2) is included in next kernel rebuild?

Thanks!

null_dev