XPEnology Community

Asus A8N-E boot issues

vizkoze

Hi everyone,

i'm new to this community and I would like to share a weird problem i have using an old repurposed computer that was lying around the house.

The problem i'm facing is succesfully starting nanoboot or gnuboot on a usb stick.

currently i'm using xpenology x64 5.0.4493 with Nanoboot-5.0.3.2 DSM 5.0-4493 X64.

My motherboard is an old asus A8N-E motherboard with a athlon x2 3800+ cpu, 1gig of memory and a 250gig satadrive.

When setting the correct bootorder in my bios, the board starts loading the bootloader from usb, after 10 seconds, it selects automatically the first item on the menu, beiing nanoboot. after that step, i get another bootloader with only one option. when the board selects that item after 10 seconds, there is a error stating not known executable found and starts the whole process over.

When I start up the computer manually and selecting the boot-options menu by pressing F8 and manually selecting nanoboot before the timeout, i get another bootimg with one option, again by pressing enter before timeout, i sucessfully start DSM5.0.4493 with the latest update.

Now this manual procedure is ok for testing purposes, but i'd like to finalize my build and have the computer to boot automatically and starting up correctly.

Does anyone knows what could be the problem? should i burn the bootloader to a cdrom and try it that way?

are there any other options for booting a usb disk?

Vince