XPEnology Community

DS Video or Media Server DSM 5.0 4493 Update 3

VengeceVapourX

Good Evening All!

I hope someone can help me or find a solution to the problem im facing which is quite frustrating.

I believe i have a Trator version of DSM not too sure though, but since i have updated to 4493 i have slowly had problems with playing videos from DS Video or Video Station, I have an environment where i have a Samsung Smart TV and a Google Chorme Cast, HTTP DDNS hostname for my NAS and can access is wherever i may be.

Issue begins with Video Station, when i log into the NAS i pick a movie to watch either Google Chrome or Internet Explorer and the page will load with the play bar, but just keeps loading and nothing more. Videos i play are various 2 formats only either MKV or MP4, few are AVI but i have never had issues with them in the past. I have checked the audio codec when playing on Samsung or Google Chrome Cast or even an Apple Device. Always the Samsung will play these no problem, now that Samsung have the DS Video App in the store its even better but before i could select it from my list of devices and stream no problem.

My aim is to stream movies or videos to either my iPhone, Samsung Smart TV, Computer, Chrome Cast successfully. These movies are 1080P and i have checked the CPU and barley goes over 50%.

Things i have tried:

Remove DS Video and Media Server

Re install and keep default settings - Note after this everything worked okay for a while and then back to sluggish performance

Test HDD where the movies are found, no issues.

Mount the Video folder to Windows 7 64bit, play the video via Windows Media Player no issues what so ever.

Re install the DS Video App on iPhone

Overall the performance of the NAS has become a little unresponsive so there's me thinking its the USB stick holding the OS, I have checked what formats Google Chrome Cast can play, I have checked my Wireless network for interference or bottlenecks as such but no avail.

If anyone has any advice going forward i could try, it would mean a lot.

Thank you guys! :grin:

Network bandwidth and connectivity?

I had issues sending 1080p through a DLink DIR-655 wireless router. MKV would play but stop within the first few minutes of play. 720P played ok.

CPU load was always within acceptable loads. Ditched router for something with more horsepower problem solved. I have Samsung Smart TV, WD TV live x 2. One wired, one wireless GigE wired network. Atom based DSM 4493-3

Hey Pal,

Thank you for your reply,

I will try to stream lower res videos, I just tested a DVD 720P video and streamed okay CPU was hitting 97% I am using an HP N54L Turion II & RAM Is 4GB.

This is outside my network also, but i will check when at home.

By the way who knew Expandables 3 could look so good on a DVD copy :mrgreen::wink:

CPU hits 97% for just playing one 720P video?? It must be something really wrong with your system because I've recently experimented to put DSM 5.0-4493u3 on a system that has an old board with old Atom 1.8GHz (2c/4t) and max out 4GB RAM it can support and from the system monitor, it shows anywhere between 60-80% for receiving wireless Acronis backups from 4 PCs, wireless streaming 3 different movies to 3 different TV while the system itself has more than 20 active downloads... I would first check the heat dissipates of your system, next is trying different RAM, HDD/SSD, and if still the same, try different processor which might be on the verge of dying...

• 2 weeks later...
CPU hits 97% for just playing one 720P video?? It must be something really wrong with your system because I've recently experimented to put DSM 5.0-4493u3 on a system that has an old board with old Atom 1.8GHz (2c/4t) and max out 4GB RAM it can support and from the system monitor, it shows anywhere between 60-80% for receiving wireless Acronis backups from 4 PCs, wireless streaming 3 different movies to 3 different TV while the system itself has more than 20 active downloads... I would first check the heat dissipates of your system, next is trying different RAM, HDD/SSD, and if still the same, try different processor which might be on the verge of dying...

Hey Thanks for your help, below are my answers and a little bit of an update:

My CPU no longer hits above 20% for any streams including BR Rips, 1080P, 720Ps, 480Ps

Heat Dissipates - HDDs and CPU are reasonable

I have a spare 2GB stick RAM, and will try this.

No other spare HDD, though i have put an movie on an external HDD indexed and shown DS Video where the video lies. Still same issues.

I wouldent say its the CPU, its only been 3-6 Months old, hardly been beating the wood with it and never overheated or to an unsafe level.

Other notes:

Recently I can successfully stream without any wait externally (Outside My Network), but when inside the only device that will connect is my Samsung Smart TV (Wireless, 2.4Ghz 2M away) Maybe its my Router and my Wireless Band or Channel. Though I run both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz,I will try connecting via Ethernet to exclude the possibility.