XPEnology Community

ASRock server mainboard with XPEnology

thkogel

Hi,

because my current NAS - QNAP TS-419P + 4TB Seagate 3x3TB Seagate and 1x each as a single HDD - soon is full, I once searched for solutions to extend or switch and am now times ended up here. Would the following hardware go;

Main board: Asrock C2550D4I http://www.asrockrack.com/general/produ ... l=C2550D4I #

RAM: 8GB DDR3 ECC

HDD: 3x 3TB in Raid 5 (Hyprid)

If that works, I would always play a single panel from QNAP on the "New-NAS", then remove it from your QNAP integrate us into the RAID5 with ... etc.

If this were so doable?

If the Atom quad-core CPU and sufficient for authenticity transcoding with Plex server or the video station?

Or would here a i3 is the better choice?

Thanks for the help

thkogel

I have been using this board now (asrock C25504di) for the past three weeks and its been working flawlessly. Nanoboot picked up the i210 nics with no issues and i am running DSM 5.0 4493U2. I have the nics "teamed" together with my cisco switch channel grouped on the other side.

I read a ton of posts before getting this board both good and bad from the early adopters as this board just came out about half a year ago. I decided to take the plunge and i am glad i did. Mine came with the latest code 1.4 already installed. In the end, it seems both freenas and xpenology run on this board so you have the option to switch if you wanted to too.

Make sure you use the Intel sata controller first then continue filling the rest of the marvell sata controllers for stability. IMPI also works well for me as i can WOL without issue but i cant do it through the synology interface. I am ok with this as long as i can do it one way or the other. As for Plex it runs great on it with out issue. I had a small group of friends over watching from 2 different rooms (different movies) @ 1080p and also streaming to my ipad/iphone at the same time with out issue. As for memory, my ecc ram that i had laying around did not boot up the board, but my non ecc ddr3 1600 worked with. So currently i am running 8gb of memory on it.

I was actually the guinea pig for my friends here as i took the plunge first with this board and i can say i would recommend this board.

**EDIT**

Actually i should note, as a server board its great...but if your looking for more bells and whistles, it doesn't have audio nor does it have usb3 or esata. But all of this shouldn't matter if you are using it as a NAS and remotely monitoring it. But this will depend on your usage.

Currently 6 drives...

2 raptors in volume 1

4 reds in volume 2

Currently using three out of the four sata controllers. Both intel and one marvel controller. The last marvel controller is empty still.

That sounds really promising. :smile:

What is the speed of copying to and from the NAS?

Currently 6 drives...

2 raptors in volume 1

4 reds in volume 2

Currently using three out of the four sata controllers. Both intel and one marvel controller. The last marvel controller is empty still.

That sounds really promising. :smile:

What is the speed of copying to and from the NAS?

Over my network i can get anywhere from 110MB/s - 90MB/s from my desktop to my NAS. I copied a 8GB file to the NAS in about 90 seconds... Not to bad!

Thanks for your reply, just seen your signature now...

What do you mean with this sentance: "Vol 3: still working on it"

Is there a technical problem or just money wise? haha

Technically it would be a $$ problem lol!! Getting another 4 x 4TB drives is going to cost some money :razz:

I also have two interesting server boards found.

ASRock H87WS-DL:

•Single Socket LGA1150 | supports Intel® Core™ i7 / i5 / i3 processors

•Intel® H87 Chipset

•SATA Controller:

- 6x Intel® H87 SATA 6.0 Gb/s Ports (with RAID support for Windows)

- 2x ASMedia 1061 SATA 6.0 Gb/s Ports

•I/O Ports:

- 4x USB 3.0 Ports (2x Header)

- 2x RJ-45 LAN Ports

•Realtek RTL8111E VL Dual Gigabit LAN Ports (supports Teaming function)

http://www.servershop-bayern.de/index.php?page=product&info=9599

or

ASRock Q87WS-DL

•SATA Controller:

- 6x Intel® Q87 SATA 6.0 Gb/s Ports (with RAID support for Windows)

•Intel® Q87 Chipset

•I/O Ports:

- 2x RJ-45 LAN Ports

•LAN: 1x Intel® i210 + 1 x Intel® i217LM Gigabit LAN Ports

http://www.servershop-bayern.de/index.php?page=product&info=9600

Mit Intel i3 CPU bestimmt auch interessant.

I have a c2750d4i and ran into some stability issues with the nic refusing packages. If anyone has issues, disabling speedstep and c-state in the bios solved the issues for me. I'm currently at 3 weeks uptime.

Interesting... i have read people had these issues, i was prepared to do what you mentioned here when i first got my board but i decided to test things out first and to my surprise everything has just worked. Granted you have the 8 core version and i have the 4 core version but either case they are almost the same board.

I also have two interesting server boards found.

ASRock H87WS-DL:

•Intel® H87 Chipset

•SATA Controller:

- 6x Intel® H87 SATA 6.0 Gb/s Ports (with RAID support for Windows)

•I/O Ports:

- 2x RJ-45 LAN Ports

•Realtek RTL8111E VL Dual Gigabit LAN Ports (supports Teaming function)

http://www.servershop-bayern.de/index.php?page=product&info=9599

or

ASRock Q87WS-DL

•SATA Controller:

- 6x Intel® Q87 SATA 6.0 Gb/s Ports (with RAID support for Windows)

•Intel® Q87 Chipset

•I/O Ports:

- 2x RJ-45 LAN Ports

•LAN: 1x Intel® i210 + 1 x Intel® i217LM Gigabit LAN Ports

http://www.servershop-bayern.de/index.php?page=product&info=9600

Mit Intel i3 CPU bestimmt auch interessant.

Those are two good boards...now the last question would be did you look into power consumption? When i was looking i was trying to find a decent balance between cpu and power consumption. The other thing i had to double check was what devices the board had... just make sure nanoboot or gnoboot have the drivers already there. My last board i couldnt use nanoboot becuase the nic drivers were not there.

@masterg

Just a quick question...have you used hibernation on your system? Does it work? Just wondering if the power consumption goes down on your setup after it goes idle. I havent had the chance to check mine yet...

@kei78

where can I find which hardware is supported by nanoboot?

QNAP runs max. 2 hours a day. I think the power consumption of a i3 CPU should not therefore be crucial.

SHR and streaming bluray via Plex (with transcoding) to the iPad will operate smoothly.

@masterg

Just a quick question...have you used hibernation on your system? Does it work? Just wondering if the power consumption goes down on your setup after it goes idle. I havent had the chance to check mine yet...

I have hibernation enabled but I don't have anything like Kill-A-Watt to check the power consumption.

Ok, just did some investigating as mine would not go into hibernate. I disabled Hotswap on the sata controllers in the bios settings and now my drives go into hibernate and i can see it in the log files. Just an fyi just in case this helps anyone.

I tried other things i read as well, such as setting dlna advertisments on plex to 0 but that didnt work for me.

@Wenzel,

A friend of mine recently bought this board and went through a bunch of non ecc ddr3 ram and realized this board is picky. It seems to like Kingston ram which is what I had laying around and what he eventually used in his. As long as you use one that is on asrock qvl list you should be good.

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/produ ... D4I#Memory QVL