XPEnology Community

Annoying BIOS reset issue is really bugging me!!!

Hi thanks for your input, I notice your motherboard is a Foxconn motherboard which is behaving not like other mainstream motherboards do when XPEnology is loaded on the system.

That is, majority symptom is when play with the Power Schedule(set a time to shut down or boot up), the BIOS will be reset to default, requires user to manually input its settings

But in your case, your Foxconn motherboard is able to shutdown properly without screwing up the BIOS.

Well it is good to hear your feedback [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

Here I am again. I also had issues Cmos Checksum bad.

Tested on: FOXCONN D51S motherboard and a Zotac ZBOX HD-ND22 system. Both give a Cmos error if I add a Startup trigger in the Power schedule. (Shutdown trigger don’t give issues)

Wake On Lan works on both systems out of the box.

Make sure WOL is enabled on BIOS and DSM.

What works for me is make only a schedule for shutdown! and save it. Turn off the NAS.

Then when I push the power button of the system it starts without a CMOS error.

Sow how to auto power on you Xpenology NAS?

Well if you have a Router that is compatible with DD-WRT firmware you can flash the DD-WRT firmware on it and make a Cron Job for a time Scheduled WOL

for more info see:

http://www.howtogeek.com/70084/how-to-schedule-your-computer-to-wake-up-at-specific-times-with-dd-wrt/

Go to DD-WRT router page Administration and scroll down to cron.

Type in the text box:

Example:

10 17 * * * root /usr/sbin/wol -p 7 -i 192.168.1.255 00:01:02:2B:AB:26

Above line will wake the the device/NAS at 17:10 o’clock that has mac address 00:01:02:2B:AB:26 And this wil be done every day.

For more options see the link above.

Make sure that the dd-wrt router has a good time. You can find it on the status page of the DD-WRT router. Otherwise it is not working. If not you can set it by dd-wrt router page SETUP —> Basic Setup —> Time settings, enable and add a good NTP address. Then check the status page again. And see if the time is right.

I tested it 4 times. This works for me!

Hope this helps someone.

Hi thanks for your input, I notice your motherboard is a Foxconn motherboard which is behaving not like other mainstream motherboards do when XPEnology is loaded on the system.

That is, majority symptom is when play with the Power Schedule(set a time to shut down or boot up), the BIOS will be reset to default, requires user to manually input its settings

But in your case, your Foxconn motherboard is able to shutdown properly without screwing up the BIOS.

Hello,

Tested on: FOXCONN D51S motherboard and a Zotac ZBOX HD-ND22 system. Both give a Cmos error if I add a Startup trigger in the Power schedule. (Shutdown trigger don’t give issues)

What works for me is make only a schedule for shutdown! and save it. Turn off the NAS.

Well if you have a Router that is compatible with DD-WRT firmware you can flash the DD-WRT firmware on it and make a Cron Job for a time Scheduled WOL

for more info see:

http://www.howtogeek.com/70084/how-to-schedule-your-computer-to-wake-up-at-specific-times-with-dd-wrt/

Type in the text box:

Example:

Above line will wake the the device/NAS at 17:10 o’clock that has mac address 00:01:02:2B:AB:26 And this wil be done every day.

Make sure that the dd-wrt router has a good time. You can find it on the status page of the DD-WRT router. Otherwise it is not working. If not you can set it by dd-wrt router page SETUP —> Basic Setup —> Time settings, enable and add a good NTP address. Then check the status page again. And see if the time is right.

Hope this helps someone.

Hello partyguy81 welcome back again!

Thank you for posting your solution to the community!

What can I say? Your piece of workaround is nothing but AWESOME :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I wish I could have google a bit and do a bit research!!! Albeit, I am getting busy with work, not enough time spend of time geeking around! :razz:

I don't have DD-WRT firmware on my router, but only have Tomato firmware, I guess the cron job will get it working.

I loved to test out some day when I get my free time back!

Again, thank you for sharing your 2nd workaround that is using a DD-WRT firmware loaded compatible router to wake up your XPEnologized PC!!!! :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Hello,

for more info see:

Type in the text box:

Example:

Hope this helps someone.

Hello partyguy81 welcome back again!

Thank you for posting your solution to the community!

What can I say? Your piece of workaround is nothing but AWESOME :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I wish I could have google a bit and do a bit research!!! Albeit, I am getting busy with work, not enough time spend of time geeking around! :razz:

I don't have DD-WRT firmware on my router, but only have Tomato firmware, I guess the cron job will get it working.

I loved to test out some day when I get my free time back!

Again, thank you for sharing your 2nd workaround that is using a DD-WRT firmware loaded compatible router to wake up your XPEnologized PC!!!! :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

• 1 month later...

Today i just tested the latest Xpenoboot with 2 motherboards :

- Biostar motherboard (T-Power i45) ,AMI BIOS ==> Xpenoboot totally cannot boot, just hang.

- HP compaq 8000 Elite Micro tower , not sure what bios ==> got CMOS RESET

I think (if possible) we requested the developer of Xpenoboot to quickly resolve this CMOS RESET Problem.

It is just plain HARD to test every motherboard that is compatible (No CMOS RESET) with Xpenoboot.

Today i just tested the latest Xpenoboot with 2 motherboards :

- Biostar motherboard (T-Power i45) ,AMI BIOS ==> Xpenoboot totally cannot boot, just hang.

- HP compaq 8000 Elite Micro tower , not sure what bios ==> got CMOS RESET

I think (if possible) we requested the developer of Xpenoboot to quickly resolve this CMOS RESET Problem.

It is just plain HARD to test every motherboard that is compatible (No CMOS RESET) with Xpenoboot.

Hi Wolverine,

I can feel your frustration, :eek:

Because, when I first try on my Supermicro PDSME motherboard,

any setting change in DSM 5.0, resulted a BIOS reset upon reboot the system.

OK, here is my only solution that I can advise the following:

1) Buy a 2nd hand Intel DQ35JOE or DQ35JO motherboard, someone recommended to me last year and is working 100%

no Bios reset when rebooting.

2) Buy a Gigabyte motherboard with DUAL Bios feature- when 1 get overwritten, the spare 1 will take over.

(Not sure it is good solution because, the memory that store the BIOS has limited writes)

3) If you are not planning to play with the POWER Schedule, that is what time does your XPEnologized

PC requires to boot up and shut down, then go for the ASUS motherboards running the old socket 775 CPUs.

If you change any setting in DSM 5.0, it won't cause the BIOS to reset when rebooting on the next time, provided

that you are not going to use POWER Schedule

From my testing the corruption of the BIOS occurs only when you're trying to wake up the nas at a specific time from DSM, all the other settings should be harmless.

My fix was to use the "Power by RTC" from the BIOS to wake up the machine at a specific time everyday.

Hi Thoms, thanks for sharing your experience! :grin:

I beg the difference to your statement.

Each motherboard behaved differently than the others.

My Supermicro PDSME motherboard will have BIOS corruption on every reboot,

regardless of you have made any settings on DSM.

From my testing the corruption of the BIOS occurs only when you're trying to wake up the nas at a specific time from DSM, all the other settings should be harmless.

My fix was to use the "Power by RTC" from the BIOS to wake up the machine at a specific time everyday.

Hi Thomas, thanks for sharing your experience! :grin:

I beg the difference to your statement.

Each motherboard behaved differently than the others.

My Supermicro PDSME motherboard will have BIOS corruption on every reboot,

regardless of you have made any settings on DSM.

Hi all,

I do understand the problem with power setting.

Problem is this is totally brand new setting.

So the power manager on the DSM is totally EMPTY.

Again the symptom of CMOS reset still there.

Finally i got 1 motherboard that confirm no CMOS RESET.

It is an old motherboard my friend gave me.

He took it from 1 of oldie HP compaq PC.

Since the motherboard itself don't have any label printing for model, etc so i don't have a clue from HP Compaq PC he took this mobo.

But i am 100% positive that this mobo come from a very old HP compaq.

Becoz this mobo spec is damn lousy :

- Socket 775 Only support oldie P4 531

- Chipset old Intel 915

- Got Sata-2 only got 2 SATA ports

- Memory DDR-2 only support up to 2GB/

- BIOS is AMI

Surprisingly using this Mobo to boot Xpenoboot, NO CMOS RESET !!!!

Again i itchy hand, testing the wake up and yes the CMOS Reset happen again, but this is not important for me as i can use other method to wake up the PC.

So Xpenology is really depend on the motherboard itself.

Problem is support for Xpenoboot only very super limited to certain Mobo.

So far my opinion for the supported MOBO :

- Must be old version , support only for core2duo or maybe older. i think for i3 with UEFI forget it, it will not run nicely.

- Must have AMI BIOS (not 100% Guarantee can run also)

Again i did a test using a branded PC that CONFIRMED CANNOT BOOT EXPENOLOGY USB thumbdrive :

- Lenovo Thinkcentre A58

- machine type 7705

- Processor : Core2Duo E8400

- Memory DDR2- 2GB (or 4 GB)

- Chipset Intel G41

- Latest Lenovo Bios

- built in LAN card Marvel (tested disabled it and using Realtek or intel also same)

- using internal SATA ==> not working, blank screen

- Disable SATA and using IBM HBA 1015 (reflashed the bIOS to IT mode) ==> also not working, blank screen.

- Disable everything, those serial, printer port, etc== > also only got blank screen

- Confirmed got AMI bios (DAMN, i though i got the jackpot coz this mobo got AMI BIOS).

Symptom : boot using Xpenology USB only have BLANK Screen, nothing.

I thought this PC got bug so cannot boot from USB but i boot using Lenovo PC doctor (burned to USB) can boot nicely.

Note : in the bios, this Lenovo PC doctor USB thumbdrive somehow detected as Hard disk, but Xpenoboot USB detected as "removable Drive". i think this stupid Lenovo can only boot certain USB thumbdrive that formated to emulate hard disk. Forgive me if i say wrong thing as i am not a programmer.

the funny thing is from this link

http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... y_NAS_have

You can see that the original DS3615xs actually is using Intel Core i3-4130 , and i think all those i3, i5, i7 are using UEFI BIOS.

I never see any that still using old bios from phoenix, award, ami ,etc.

All lenovo since i3,i5,i7 oldest version already using AMI Aptio UEFI Bios.

Maybe synology developer somehow managed to code/program their own bios with old AMI ?

KUDOS to them then LOL

Finally good news,

Just got this old PC that the spec is not bad.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Com ... l/3707388/

HP Compaq Presario SR5490CF Micro Tower

Product #K310AA-AB4

Processor : Intel Core2quad E6700 (can be upgraded to any core2Duo or Core2Quad with FSB 1333

Maximum memory : 4 GB (2 slot DDR-2 800)

1 PATA connectors

4 SATA-2 connectors

Ethernet : FAST ETHERNET Realtek RTL8201CL (only this not satisfied, only fast ethernet 10/100 Mbps , NOT GIGABIT ).

Motherboard spec (foxconn OEM)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Com ... c01357119/

Bios : Phoenix 5.08 (Dated 25 Dec 2007)

CONFIRMED NO CMOS RESET.

Schedule shutdown ok.

Schedule Wake up : Working FINE (no need any changes, it just work Out Of The BOX) but got CMOS Reset.

Note : the good news is event with error message CMOS RESET this PC just keep rebooting from thumbdrive Wahahahahahaha SUPER DAMN NICE !!!!!!

• 4 months later...
Finally good news,

Just got this old PC that the spec is not bad.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Com ... l/3707388/

HP Compaq Presario SR5490CF Micro Tower

Product #K310AA-AB4

Processor : Intel Core2quad E6700 (can be upgraded to any core2Duo or Core2Quad with FSB 1333

Maximum memory : 4 GB (2 slot DDR-2 800)

1 PATA connectors

4 SATA-2 connectors

Ethernet : FAST ETHERNET Realtek RTL8201CL (only this not satisfied, only fast ethernet 10/100 Mbps , NOT GIGABIT ).

Motherboard spec (foxconn OEM)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Com ... c01357119/

Bios : Phoenix 5.08 (Dated 25 Dec 2007)

CONFIRMED NO CMOS RESET.

Schedule shutdown ok.

Schedule Wake up : Working FINE (no need any changes, it just work Out Of The BOX) but got CMOS Reset.

Note : the good news is event with error message CMOS RESET this PC just keep rebooting from thumbdrive Wahahahahahaha SUPER DAMN NICE !!!!!!

Thanks for the update wolverine :grin:

Hi Guys,

I know my post has long been overdue for an update. But it is never too late than never update at all!!! :roll:

Latest motherboard I tested:

ACER Q35T-AM motherboard(2nd Hand), OEM motherboard from ECS motherboard manufacturer.

Yes, I know, still using old technology here. Kind of like poor man's budget NAS. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

You can check up the motherboard here:https://www.google.com/search?q=acer+q35t-am&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=923&tbm=isch&imgil=GTi1lfxTr0n-tM%253A%253BIC_vnk10AdiCHM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.aliexpress.com%25252Fstore%25252Fproduct%25252FDesktop-motherboard-for-acer-Q35T-AM-beautiful-condition-FREE-SHIPPING-TO-ALL-COUNTRY%25252F208174_508957937.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=GTi1lfxTr0n-tM%253A%252CIC_vnk10AdiCHM%252C_&dpr=1&usg=__rViZw6envfRNvt7kLG7Jc_jQ7aE%3D&ved=0CCcQyjc&ei=hAeiVbr4OYq0uAT9kYG4Bw#imgrc=GTi1lfxTr0n-tM%3A&usg=__rViZw6envfRNvt7kLG7Jc_jQ7aE%3D

Pros:

1) It supports AHCI

2) It has got an Intel Gigiabit NIC on-board(not Realtek or Atheros like those cheap ATX motherboard)

3) It comes with North B intel = Q35 and South B = ICH9 that can supports up to 6 SATA II devices.

Cons:

1) It does not come with I/O metal shield black plate, reason being the motherboard was removed from Acer desktop case.

2) Scheduled power down works but when booting up again, CMOS get reset!!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hi Guys,

I know my post has long been overdue for an update. But it is never too late than never update at all!!! :roll:

Latest motherboard I tested:

ACER Q35T-AM motherboard(2nd Hand), OEM motherboard from ECS motherboard manufacturer.

Yes, I know, still using old technology here. Kind of like poor man's budget NAS. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

You can check up the motherboard here:https://www.google.com/search?q=acer+q35t-am&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=923&tbm=isch&imgil=GTi1lfxTr0n-tM%253A%253BIC_vnk10AdiCHM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.aliexpress.com%25252Fstore%25252Fproduct%25252FDesktop-motherboard-for-acer-Q35T-AM-beautiful-condition-FREE-SHIPPING-TO-ALL-COUNTRY%25252F208174_508957937.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=GTi1lfxTr0n-tM%253A%252CIC_vnk10AdiCHM%252C_&dpr=1&usg=__rViZw6envfRNvt7kLG7Jc_jQ7aE%3D&ved=0CCcQyjc&ei=hAeiVbr4OYq0uAT9kYG4Bw#imgrc=GTi1lfxTr0n-tM%3A&usg=__rViZw6envfRNvt7kLG7Jc_jQ7aE%3D

Pros:

1) It supports AHCI

2) It has got an Intel Gigiabit NIC on-board(not Realtek or Atheros like those cheap ATX motherboard)

3) It comes with North B intel = Q35 and South B = ICH9 that can supports up to 6 SATA II devices.

Cons:

1) It does not come with I/O metal shield black plate, reason being the motherboard was removed from Acer desktop case.

2) Scheduled power down works but when booting up again, CMOS get reset!!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

The reason, that I tried out this motherboard is to see, whether it has a BIOS reset issue, because, previously, I was using

the INTEL DQ35JOE motherboard which has no issue with BIOS reset, both motherboards are using the same chipsets.

I reckon, the BIOS reset issue has something to do with the real-time clock chipset used on the motherboard.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have a question about this annoying issue. Does it still exists on DSM 5.2 or it's only something "reserved" for 5.0?

I have n54l and everything works great on 5.0 (except Scheduled power-on).

If 5.2 still has this drawback I dunno if it's even worth it to upgrade.

By the way - there is one workaround. Plan shutdowns using Advanced Power Management plugin, and then install DD-WRT on the router and set a cronjob(s) which will turn on the server using WOL on selected time :smile:

There is even a possibility (was not trying yet) to invoke the server when someone is trying to access it (but it's not ideal, because You still need to wait 1-2 min for the server to poweron, so firstly You'll get info that it's not available)

Hi,

I have a question about this annoying issue. Does it still exists on DSM 5.2 or it's only something "reserved" for 5.0?

I have n54l and everything works great on 5.0 (except Scheduled power-on).

If 5.2 still has this drawback I dunno if it's even worth it to upgrade.

By the way - there is one workaround. Plan shutdowns using Advanced Power Management plugin, and then install DD-WRT on the router and set a cronjob(s) which will turn on the server using WOL on selected time :smile:

There is even a possibility (was not trying yet) to invoke the server when someone is trying to access it (but it's not ideal, because You still need to wait 1-2 min for the server to poweron, so firstly You'll get info that it's not available)

Hi Barat, I have not been very active in this post.

Anyway thanks for sharing :wink:

Unfortunately, for DSM 5.2, I am pretty sure BIOS reset issue is still exist even though I have not tested.

Unless some one in the forum is willing to beg the differ. :shock:

BIOS reset will occur during POST if you have scheduled the PC to shutdown certain time.

Unless, you have tried new motherboards that uses the newest BIOS firmware UEFI.

But still bear in mind, this is not an absolute fix on the problem. There is no 100% guarantee.

You just have to keep trying new motherboards....till you are broke!!! Just kidding.... :lol:

• 1 month later...

I started another before realized this post is very much alive.

My HP DC7900 has CMOS reset everytime booted with Xpenoboot 5.2 USB even before install DSM. Nanoboot 32bit has no such problem. Unfortunately we don't have 32bit Xpenoboot available or otherwise many of us can benefit from headless server. I don't need WOL nor scheduled power on. All I needed is proper power on and shutdown.

Seems I have to compromise. Changing mobo will turn this DC7900 into useless metal.

Wish everyone a happy new year!

My HP DC7900 has CMOS reset everytime booted with Xpenoboot 5.2 USB even before install DSM. Nanoboot 32bit has no such problem. Unfortunately we don't have 32bit Xpenoboot available or otherwise many of us can benefit from headless server. I don't need WOL nor scheduled power on. All I needed is proper power on and shutdown.

Seems I have to compromise. Changing mobo will turn this DC7900 into useless metal.

Yeah, if you want to the lastest and greatest, using XPEnoboot, then that is the price you pay for..... :sad: unfortunately.

If are happy about using Nanoboot, then should continue using it.

Question in my mind never get answer.....under what special reason that the developers were not

able to crack their heads and solve this age old problem???? :???:

All the best for the coming year 2016.

Yeah, if you want to the lastest and greatest, using XPEnoboot, then that is the price you pay for..... :sad: unfortunately.

If are happy about using Nanoboot, then should continue using it.

Question in my mind never get answer.....under what special reason that the developers were not

able to crack their heads and solve this age old problem???? :???:

All the best for the coming year 2016.

It's really an old issue. This thread alone is 18 months old.

Hapoy New Year to all!

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi to all Xpenology community.

Since i recently buy a microserver gen 8 i'd love to put xpenology on it (atm i have windows server 2012 r2 with a dreamspark license) but this bios reset issue trouble me to no end.

It seem to be (imho) a problem at the boot of the machine due to all boot loader x64 based on DS3612(5)xs in general (nanoboot 5.0.3.1 x86 seem to work just fine but it's limited two 2 disk since it's based on DS214Play).

I tried xpenoboot (many versions), gnoboot 4.3, nanoboot 5.0.3.1. They reset the bios also before the installation of dsm os (i mean the first time u boot the machine with it).

I also know that there is some workarounds like set the user bios setting to default or run xpenology on vm.

Now my questions:

do u think the problem is related to the the "x64 build" or to the fact that the boot loader is based on the "DS361(X)xs"?

'cos if related to the x64 build maybe will be possible to "make" a boot loader x86 again maybe base on a DS with at least 4 disk.

as far as you know is it possible to fix this issue in a future release of the current (x64) boot loader?

thank u for your time reading and keep up this awesome project.

best regards

hi to all Xpenology community.

Since i recently buy a microserver gen 8 i'd love to put xpenology on it (atm i have windows server 2012 r2 with a dreamspark license) but this bios reset issue trouble me to no end.

It seem to be (imho) a problem at the boot of the machine due to all boot loader x64 based on DS3612(5)xs in general (nanoboot 5.0.3.1 x86 seem to work just fine but it's limited two 2 disk since it's based on DS214Play).

I tried xpenoboot (many versions), gnoboot 4.3, nanoboot 5.0.3.1. They reset the bios also before the installation of dsm os (i mean the first time u boot the machine with it).

I also know that there is some workarounds like set the user bios setting to default or run xpenology on vm.

Now my questions:

do u think the problem is related to the the "x64 build" or to the fact that the boot loader is based on the "DS361(X)xs"?

'cos if related to the x64 build maybe will be possible to "make" a boot loader x86 again maybe base on a DS with at least 4 disk.

as far as you know is it possible to fix this issue in a future release of the current (x64) boot loader?

thank u for your time reading and keep up this awesome project.

best regards

Hello vejta66

I created this post merely to address the issue of RESET BIOS, when you set time to turn on your XPEnologized PC.

The intention is to create the awareness that such a problem exist when you are playing around with XPEnology.

And also share the "workaround solution" and NOT requesting for a permanent fix.

Because, neither me nor the fellow forum user is able to do it, unless we are the core developers.

You need to PM the administrator as to how to solve this problem. So in short, I couldn't offer any help

in answering your question regarding to X64 build. :sad:

As far as I know, unless you are willing to change your hardware to a different motherboard, like INTEL DQ35JOE,

there is no reset BIOS issue, but as of now, I CANNOT promise the lastest version of XPEnoboot + the lastest DSM image

will NOT cause BIOS resetting problem. Simply because I couldn't find the time to test it :grin: