XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Move xpenology between servers

Mada

Question

I have a working installation of Xpenology 6.0 on a Dell T20. I have since bought a HP Microserver Gen 8 as I needed something smaller.

Do I need to reinstall Xpenology or can I simply move the USB stick and drives from one server to the other?

7 answers to this question

I have a working installation of Xpenology 6.0 on a Dell T20. I have since bought a HP Microserver Gen 8 as I needed something smaller.

Do I need to reinstall Xpenology or can I simply move the USB stick and drives from one server to the other?

For the usb stick: at the very least, the grub.cfg file needs to be updated with the MAC address of your Gen 8 NIC.

For the drives: as for moving them honestly I am not sure it would work. You could try it but DO make a backup of everything if that is possible. The drives would at least need to be in the same order but even then I believe the volume(s) would be degraded.

If you don't have that much data I would recommend you do a clean install and then migrate the data to your new Gen 8. That at least would be clean.

It also depends. If you have created a disk group, the order is not important I think. The disk group will handle everything. If you just created a volume, I am pretty sure you are asking for trouble unless you really plan (and practice the move with other drives first) well.

It also depends. If you have created a disk group, the order is not important I think. The disk group will handle everything. If you just created a volume, I am pretty sure you are asking for trouble unless you really plan (and practice the move with other drives first) well.

Indeed if all drives are part of a disk group then the migration from one box to the other might work fine.

how is synology's diskgroups translated into "normal linux" in terms like mdadm or lvm?

If I had to guess, I suspect they are somehow writing some header to the disk itself or something to that effect. It would likely be proprietary to Synology and they would likely not release the answer. You would have to inspect the disks individually to really find out - unless someone else he is in the know on it.

I actually got this working and it was very straight forward, let me try and explain:

I removed the hard drives from the Dell T20 and moved them to the HP Microserver (it was pretty much a bare install anyway, apart from some IP camera recordings which I was happy to start again with). I then modified the grub.cfg with the updated NIC's and plugged it in to the Microserver expecting to reinstall. When I went to the synology assistant it prompted me to log in and all was well.

As I had previously set everything up in DSM 6.0 I had basic RAID groups assigned to each hard drive with a volume with each. As I removed 1 hard drive and added a new one, I just removed the old RAID group and created a new one.

Everything seems fine, very straight forward.

• Like 1