XPEnology Community

Experience with DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01 on ESXi

NeoID

Question

Hi guys,

I haven't been very active on the forum since 5.2 was the latest and greatest. After visiting the forum every now and then I see that finally the source has been released, but there's still no "official"(?) build of XPenology available. I thought about giving DS3615xs 6.0.2 Jun's Mod V1.01 a try, but I miss the changelog and structured user feedback of what's working and what's not in a virtual environment such as ESXi. I have to admit that I use 5.2 in "personal production environment", so I'm still quite skeptical of jumping to 6.0 even though I'm very tempted.

Bugs or missing features I've experienced with DSM 5.2:

[*] The "home" directory disappears from time to time when using CIFS. It's possible to access it using the direct path such as \\192.168.1.2\home\, but it's a bit frustrating

[*] PhotoStation, which I love and use a lot for storing photos struggles often with generating thumbnails. Especially when uploading a photo using the mobile app on Android. What happens is that the thumbnail gets corrupted and when you take a look at it though the webpage, you'll only see maybe half of it while the other half is gray. The photo itself seems unaffected by this bug, but since there's no button available for mass re-generating thumbnails it quickly gets annoying.

[*] Not a bug, but the lack of Let's encrypt is pretty huge deal, especially if you want to use WebDAV over WAN with HTTPS.

So, now for DSM 6.0:

Have many have it successfully running on ESXi? Anyone who has done any kind of performance measurements? I'm very interested in thoughts about BTRFS and pass-through of SATA controllers.

What current bugs have you noticed? Are there any known bugs for version V1.01?

2 answers to this question

I am using 6.0.2 (currently update 8) on esxi 6.5 for months now. I encountered no issues in dsm whatsoever. All official packages run perfectly.

I also use lets encrypt certificates, works like a charm.

I passed 4 hdds through via rdm, not the controller (googled how to do it, started on esxi 6.0 which didn't have this functionality built in into the gui, yet) my onboard controller can't be passed through unfortunately

Throughput is like native performance no raid in use. Same with network performance

Feel free to ask for specifics if you want to know

Gesendet von meinem ONE A2003 mit Tapatalk

Running that particular bootloader since day 1 it was released on two different ESXi hosts.

Meanwhile, I updated both ESXi hosts from 6 to 6.5. Works like a charm (except DockerDSM).

A while ago, when I was on 5.2, I was bothered by a missing letsencrypt spk as well.

Luckily i could find a branch of spksrc for that. I compiled it (as in: i didn't write any of the code) and shared it here: https://mega.nz/#F!Tl5wyZAa!NxRtmRacQnarX1skLmwYag

The original thread is this one: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15045&hilit=letsencrypt

though, to be honest: don't bother with it and upgrade to dsm 6.0.2 instead!