XPEnology Community

Jun's Loader Crazy Network Detection Issue

I had a test system running DSM 5.2-5967 update 2 with the XPEnoboot 5.2-5967.1 loader. It had been updated many times without issue and I used it to test upgrade to DSM 6.0.2-8451 update 9 with Jun's Mod V1.01 loader. I mistakenly deleted some packages and the system became unusable so I decided to re-install.

Now I can't get Synology Assistant to see the unit using Jun's loaders. DHCP is assigning an IP address but I can't ping it. I've used different USB sticks and hard drives, wiping them completely each time. I even went back to DSM 5.2-5967 update 2 with the XPEnoboot 5.2-5967.1 loader and got the system re-installed. But I still can't upgrade it to DSM 6 with Jun's loader, not even the V1.02-alpha. I'v also tried not connecting my hard drives with the same results.

I've done DSM 5.2 to DSM 6 upgrades on five different systems so I'm pretty confident I didn't mess up the grub.cfg.

Any suggestions?

I've rebooted my router and released the DHCP assigned address but the problem still persists.

I've given up on this motherboard for now as I've got plenty of other ones to use as my test system. Took me 10 minutes to bring up another DSM 5.2 and upgrade directly to DSM 6.1 using Jun's alpha loader.

Something is weird, indeed. On Microserver Gen8/ESXi6.0 I can use Jun's loader for install as many VMs as I want, but on other hardwares/ESXi 6 it works only one time.

For the second VM I have to add a second virtual NIC and it works.

For baremetal installs: first DSM ok, for second DSM I have to put a second NIC onto the motherboard - no matter what vendor's mobo I use.

Weirdest thing: setup finished, DSM runs fine, I configure both NICs to use static IP, both work. No matter which one I remove - DSM becomes inaccessibe.

Router reboot, clear DHCP, ARP, reboot everything, clear everything - no use. I move the DSM into a different network: it's safe to remove any NIC I choose, DSM still work.

And all of them is totally independent from routers, I tried pfSense VM, Draytek, Linksys, Windows DHCP...

Funny, really, but in any case a second NIC always helps to get through.