XPEnology Community

Jun's Alpha Loader for DSM 6.1

CrazyCreator

Hi all

I have now upgraded my main Server with Jun 1.02 and DSM 6.1 and all is working fine.

Virtual DSM Manager is also working but there is only 1027x768 screen resolution no drivers for Sound and Graphic Adapter :sad: (and virtual box is much better :smile:)

My Question is will upgrade my Gen8 also with the newest DSM 6.1 and JUN Loader 1.02 but this is my Backup Server with 30 TB in and when is going wrong im in trouble and i have read that some people have trouble with the GEN 8 DSM 6.1 and Jun Loader 1.02 Could you confirm ? or is it working when i do a fresh install on the Gen8 ?

I have read the forum but i cant find a defenitly answer for the GEN 8 and DSM 6.1 and Jun Loader 1.02

thank you very much for your feedback

Hi all

I have now upgraded my main Server with Jun 1.02 and DSM 6.1 and all is working fine.

Virtual DSM Manager is also working but there is only 1027x768 screen resolution no drivers for Sound and Graphic Adapter :sad: (and virtual box is much better :smile:)

My Question is will upgrade my Gen8 also with the newest DSM 6.1 and JUN Loader 1.02 but this is my Backup Server with 30 TB in and when is going wrong im in trouble and i have read that some people have trouble with the GEN 8 DSM 6.1 and Jun Loader 1.02 Could you confirm ? or is it working when i do a fresh install on the Gen8 ?

I have read the forum but i cant find a defenitly answer for the GEN 8 and DSM 6.1 and Jun Loader 1.02

thank you very much for your feedback

You can always just disconnect your existing disks, remove your current USB stick and create a DSM 6.1 USB stick using Jun's loader to do testing. It should work as I've seen others on this forum running on Gen 8.

I'm technically using Skylake (an unsupported architecture by DSM) and don't have any major issues. Everything works out of the box.

Back from the dead with some good news...

I can confirm with high confidence that upgrading directly from 5.2 or 6.0.2 to 6.1.1 is completely successful.

To aid future upgrades as the bootloader matures, I am coming up with a nice backup package to backup of the system 2.4gb partition. I recommend for everyone to do this before they do any upgrade/update. Then the risk is really low to upgrade to any version even when untested. If an upgrade fails it is easy to restore back to previous version you were running if you fail. More on that soon.

Great idea, should cure people's anxiety when updating!

It is good news, thank you very much!

Back from the dead with some good news...

I can confirm with high confidence that upgrading directly from 5.2 or 6.0.2 to 6.1.1 is completely successful.

To aid future upgrades as the bootloader matures, I am coming up with a nice backup package to backup of the system 2.4gb partition. I recommend for everyone to do this before they do any upgrade/update. Then the risk is really low to upgrade to any version even when untested. If an upgrade fails it is easy to restore back to previous version you were running if you fail. More on that soon.

I've tried upgrading from DSM 6 to DSM 6.1.1 (loader v1.01 to v1.02a2). When booting with the new loader, I chose the migration option which installed the new version of DSM. I had no network but I was able to fix it by using a serial connection to copy /lib/modules/update to /lib/modules like suggested in a previous post.

Everything is up and running, and my data is there, but I'm getting this weird behaviour in DSM:

pzBd1ef.png

/proc/mdstat:

Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raidF1]
md2 : active raid5 sda3[0] sde3[2] sdc3[4] sdb3[1]
     8776333632 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [uUUU]

md3 : active raid1 sdd3[0]
     971940544 blocks super 1.2 [1/1] [u]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1] sdc2[2] sdd2[3] sde2[4]
     2097088 blocks [12/5] [uUUUU_______]

md125 : active raid1 sda1[0]
     2490176 blocks [12/1] [u___________]

md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sdc1[4] sdd1[2] sde1[3]
     2490176 blocks [12/4] [_UUUU_______]

unused devices: 

detail:

/dev/md0:
       Version : 0.90
 Creation Time : Sun Jan  8 15:29:59 2017
    Raid Level : raid1
    Array Size : 2490176 (2.37 GiB 2.55 GB)
 Used Dev Size : 2490176 (2.37 GiB 2.55 GB)
  Raid Devices : 12
 Total Devices : 4
Preferred Minor : 0
   Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Sat May 27 13:32:24 2017
         State : clean, degraded
Active Devices : 4
Working Devices : 4
Failed Devices : 0
 Spare Devices : 0

UUID : xxxx
        Events : 0.934480

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
      -       0        0        0      removed
      1       8       17        1      active sync   /dev/sdb1
      2       8       49        2      active sync   /dev/sdd1
      3       8       65        3      active sync   /dev/sde1
      4       8       33        4      active sync   /dev/sdc1
      -       0        0        5      removed
      -       0        0        6      removed
      -       0        0        7      removed
      -       0        0        8      removed
      -       0        0        9      removed
      -       0        0       10      removed
      -       0        0       11      removed

It would seem that it's expecting 12 drives to be there in md0. Does anyone have any ideas?

Storage Manager on DSM is broken and just shows white screens for each of the tabs (RAID Groups, HDD, etc).

Cheers

Yeah I tried looking for something similar but couldn't find it. I've managed to fix it, the md125 array in the mdstat output above looked unusual, so I tried synospace --stop-all-spaces (something like that) and then removed the md125 array and added the drive from it (sda1) to the system array (md0), restarted and it all works fine!

I'm just getting odd behaviour with a notification every 5 minutes saying "The mail system is currently not in a normal status" even though email notifications deliver just fine, but it's not the end of the world and I'm sure I'll figure it out :grin:

Hi Everyone,

I just successfully finished my first xpenology instal ever. Switching from Openmediavault 3.x which is still a very reliable and a wonderful NAS-Software. But I was tempted by the beautifull interface and easy management of DSM. So I decided to install DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha Baremetal on my HP ProLiant ML10 Gen9 E3-1225v5 /8GB ECC-RAM. Before that, I read almost every thread in this forum and ended up with a perfectly working system. All my data is migrated - Phew!

But there still some minor issues: My Xeon CPU is recognized as an i3 because this is the factory CPU of the the DS3615xs. So I'm thinking about changing the system to the DS3617xs in favor for the Xeon-Support. Is this the right thought? Can I create a new Boot-Stick with the the DS3617xs, booting up and everything is working with no problems, including full support of all 4 cores? Has anyone in this forum experiences with the jun the DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha?

Thanks for your feedback!

And extra thanks to all the people in this forum which put so much effort into this great project!

Frank

I use the MSI IM-Q35 motherboard (network card model: Intel 82566DM +82573L), the motherboard has two RJ45 interface. After installing DS6.1, the system can detect two network cards, but only one normal work (second network card, eth1). The other is connected to the network cable after the light is bright, but the router can not detect the connection, whether it is using DHCP or manually enter the IP address. I would like to know if there is any solution to this problem

PS.

I am using v1.02a2 for ds3617xs

Well, I've now reverted to DS3615xs from a Ds3617xs emulation. Still the same problem with Photostation 6.7.1-3419 - videos embedded into Photostation will not play from the Photostation web pages. Exactly the same videos play fine out of Photostation (v6.7.1-3419) on my Synology DS1513+

Have uninstalled Photostation from my xPenology device; re-installed; and re-added the photostation photos and videos to see if this solves the problem.

I'm now inclined to revert my xPenology NAS to DS3617xs as the change back to DS3615xs emulation was of no benefit.

Supermicro X10SL7-F mbrd, Xeon E3-1241v3, 16GB (2x8GB ECC), 4x8TB WD80EFZX HDD in RAID 6 config: baremetal.

Hi Rhubarb,

how did you manage to revert from DS3617 -> DS3615 -> DS3617? I'm thinking about changing my perfectly running system (Baremetal HP ML10 gen9 Xeon E3-1225 v5 ) from DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha to DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha because of better support for my Xeon CPU.

Can you please describe which steps are necessary? After initial installation of DS3615 I enabled SHR in Synoconfig and configured my disks as SHR. Will a fresh install / system change to DS3617 (which like DS3616 doesn't offer SHR without "hacking" ) see/accept my SHR-disks without data loss/reformat?

Photostation 6 Video Playback with DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2 - Differences between DS3615XS and DS3617XS

When running DSM 5.2 on my xpenology DS3615XS, the Photostation application worked flawlessly and had no problems displaying both photos and videos that were in the Photostation folders.

Since I upgraded to DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2 (and earlier iterations of 6.1) as a DS3617XS, Photostation continues to work OK, but it will no longer playback the video segments that were playing correctly in the earlier version of Photostation. The very same videos play correctly on my Synology DS1513+ (Atom based) NAS under DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2.

I'm thinking that perhaps I should create a Jun's DS3615XS bootloader v1.02a to replace the Jun's DS3617XS v1.02a2 that currently booting the xPenology box. I'm thinking this may solve the Photostation video playback issues.

Does anybody have any cautionary warnings before I go down this path.

If I create a new DS3615XS bootloader using Jun's v1.02a, is it simply a matter of shutting down the xPenology DS3617XS, replacing the v1.02a2 bootloader USB stick with one with the DS3615XS v1.02a loader, and restarting the NAS? Am I missing any issues that would stop the box continuing to operate, this time emulating a DS3615XS with the same version of DSM (DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2)?

My box comprises: Supermicro X10SL7-F mbrd, Xeon E3-1241v3, 16GB (2x8GB ECC), 4x8TB WD80EFZX HDD in RAID 6 config: baremetal.

ffmpeg delivered with DSM 6.1 is buggy.

How I fixed the issue is downloading the latest ffmpeg binaries and replacing the buggy ffmpeg in /bin

Download from https://www.johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

Photostation 6 Video Playback with DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2 - Differences between DS3615XS and DS3617XS

When running DSM 5.2 on my xpenology DS3615XS, the Photostation application worked flawlessly and had no problems displaying both photos and videos that were in the Photostation folders.

Since I upgraded to DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2 (and earlier iterations of 6.1) as a DS3617XS, Photostation continues to work OK, but it will no longer playback the video segments that were playing correctly in the earlier version of Photostation. The very same videos play correctly on my Synology DS1513+ (Atom based) NAS under DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2.

I'm thinking that perhaps I should create a Jun's DS3615XS bootloader v1.02a to replace the Jun's DS3617XS v1.02a2 that currently booting the xPenology box. I'm thinking this may solve the Photostation video playback issues.

If I create a new DS3615XS bootloader using Jun's v1.02a, is it simply a matter of shutting down the xPenology DS3617XS, replacing the v1.02a2 bootloader USB stick with one with the DS3615XS v1.02a loader, and restarting the NAS? Am I missing any issues that would stop the box continuing to operate, this time emulating a DS3615XS with the same version of DSM (DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2)?

My box comprises: Supermicro X10SL7-F mbrd, Xeon E3-1241v3, 16GB (2x8GB ECC), 4x8TB WD80EFZX HDD in RAID 6 config: baremetal.

How I fixed the issue is downloading the latest ffmpeg binaries and replacing the buggy ffmpeg in /bin

Hi donmimo

thanks! Missed that part from 'Rhubarb'...meanwhile I gave it a try - with no luck! While migrating to new 3617 I received the well known Error 13. Tried several times, rechecked PID and VID - no success. I'm back to 3615....

Could you provided the full path? Can't find where to place...

Thx!