XPEnology Community

HP Proliant N40L upgrading to newer DSM

sschen

Guys

I managed to get XPEnology installed on my HP N40L Microserver a year or so ago using DSM 5.1-5022 Update 5 (DSM date: 2015/04/22).

I am keen to update it to a more recent version. On the "DSM Update" page, it is showing "DSM 5.2-5967 is available for download".

Is it safe to just download it from the GUI or should I do this using alternate method?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

You can migrate up to DSM 6 (not 6.1!) using Jun's loader and the tutorial in the sticky threads. Afaik you need to update to 5.2.x before attempting to move to DSM 6. As Dfds said it's best to do some reading first so you're up to speed and understand what you're doing.

Make sure you backup all critical data because you never know for sure nothing will go wrong. If you have enough storage to back everything you need to keep you could avoid some steps by doing a fresh install of DSM 6. DSM 6 gives you btrfs as an option which is a pain to migrate to because you can't make volume 1 btrfs in an straight forward process, because the packages can't me moved to another volume. Also keep in mind that shr volumes aren't accessible by default with DSM 6! You need to make some minor edits to the default conf file to access shr again. You can migrate shr volumes if you go the migration route, but you still need to edit the conf file to get shr fully usable if you need to change or add volumes etc. later on.

There are lots of nice features in DSM 6 so it's worth taking some time researching before you make a decision imho. General Security is improved and letsencrypt ssl is nice to have. Oh and the root user works differently under DSM 6...your main admin account is no longer the root user, so you need to use -sudo in ssh sessions or apply a password to the root user (less secure) to login directly as root.

The cpu governor, power button and wol scripts all work on the 40L with DSM 6 and 5.2, although you may need to tweak some config files and manually add some scripts. Some script locations differ between 5.x and 6.x. Lastly there is no console output on the 40L so make sure you take note of the work round in the installation notes.

Start here and read the OP expand the [+] panel to see the notes viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216 and then see this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100 for the how to.

I used the migration method and the fresh install approach and imho the fresh install was preferable in my case, but it means you have to reconfigure everything. The advantage was the new admin user account process is applied cleanly...you're forced to create a new account that's not named admin, it also creates the home folder appropriately. Applying btrfs is much easier with a fresh install and you end up with a nice clean DSM 6 build. The downside is the time it takes to backup and shuffle all your data about, especially if you have large volumes full of data. If you need to juggle drives around and you want to use shr make sure you use the drive with the lowest capacity as part of your initial array, because you can't add drives with a lower geometry to an existing array. Been their, done that and that brain fade cost me a lot of time rebuilding.

In your case taking the leap to DSM 6 will save you going through the DSM 5.1 to 5.2 process. Not that that is a big deal, but if you're not familiar with migration it may pay you to go for a fresh DSM 6? I guess it deepens on your pain threshold and how much effort you're willing to put into the research?

Other peoples opinions may vary so don't accept what I have said without doing some further research.