XPEnology Community

Reset Network Settings

Rusty

Question

I've got a broken network config, DSM is completely inaccessible. On older versions this wouldn't be a big deal as you can access the console locally to make repairs.

Can't do that on the 6.0 loader.

Mounting the drives in Ubuntu only gives access to /volume1 so can't fix it there. Force reinstall keeps the broken settings.

On a proper Syno unit you can reset them without losing any data, is there a way to do that on XPE at all?

7 answers to this question

I've got a similar problem. Every time all I get from the find.synology.com site is that I can "recover" the box but it doesn't give me any option to re-install. I've tried all kernel boot options but even the "Force reinstall" option gives me this. All I want to do is reinstall the OS without touching my data discs.

Hi Guys, have you been able to resolve this? I have a similar problem and need to reset my DSM without having to re-install. My mistake is that I enabled 802.1q vlan tagging by mistake and now cannot access my Xpenology at all. Is there a way to reset it? Please see attached for more on what I did - stupidly. Thanks.

feature03.PNG

11 hours ago, andyf said:

Can you not get a PC or Mac and create a LAN interface on it that is in the same VLAN (10 shown above). At that point, both the NAS and the 'PC' should be able to see each other?

Hi - thank you for your reply. I have done that i.e. I have created a Linux Mint VM, put it in the same LAN and even created a 802.1q VLAN subinterface by following the instructions here: http://myhomelab.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/8021q-vlan-trunk-in-linux.html but still reach my Xpenology NAS. Maybe it has lost it's IP address even though it was statically configured? I feel like the only options I have now are:

1. Delete this Xpelonogy VM and start over ... kind of painful and time cusuming

2. Somehow try to setup new IP address info via the basic command line interface available through the console

3. Find a way to reset the current network configuration. This would probably be easiest if it was a physical box as it would have a button somewhere to reset.

Any thoughts?

@Rusty I have a made a tutorial on how to access the system partition of DSM through ubuntu. Have you tried that?

Ultimately I would recommend a fresh install. To make sure no old config file is kept you would need to wipe the partition where DSM is installed (1st partition) This will obviously delete all settings and apps but your data should be kept safe as it is on a different partition.

On 10/23/2017 at 5:12 AM, imran said:

Hi Guys, have you been able to resolve this? I have a similar problem and need to reset my DSM without having to re-install. My mistake is that I enabled 802.1q vlan tagging by mistake and now cannot access my Xpenology at all. Is there a way to reset it? Please see attached for more on what I did - stupidly. Thanks.

feature03.PNG

Just went thru this, I set my Vlan ID to 1 by mistake, and after about 2 hrs.... and lots of frustration because I didnt want to do a full wipe and start from scratch. I decided to install a network card I had on another pc on my xpenology pc... restarted and bam.... I was able to access my server gui again. just had to do a network scan for the new IP my router gave to it. once there I changed my vlan id to disable and got everything back on track without having to redo the whole thing.

So... 

1. Install a new Network card.

2. restart the server.

3. Use a network scanner to obtain the new server IP. (with the port you chose)

4. Disable Vlan.

5. Restart. (you can take the network card out if you choose to).

6. Enjoy this amazing Xpenology.....