XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

WARNING: Use it at your own risk! I will not be held responsible for any data loss or broken machine.

This boot image was built using the available source code from http://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl and some files provided by XPEnology community. I would like to thank you the community for inspiring me to work on this project.

2d848hw.png

Features:

• No need to edit vender files, uses real mac address
  • Silent and cleaner boot up messages with colorized console
  • Works with original or custom version 4.x/5.x pat files, tested with DS3612xs and RS3614xs+ pat files.
  • VMware fully supported
  • Modular drivers
  • Synoboot block device
  • Custom boot options - insmod/rmmod=driver_name, gnoboot_upgrade

Known Issues:

• Upgrading from 4.X to 5.0 beta will erase your data partition (upstream issue), backup your data or download the latest pat files.
  • Fixed - ESXi 5.x kernel traceback will power off VM, only certain releases were affected and fresh install
  • Fixed - Broken block-level iSCSI (LIO), workaround enable IET in synoinfo.conf
    [spoiler=]33jh7wn.jpg
    2r44eh2.png 
  • Fixed - Limited support for VTd

Changelog:

[spoiler=]

• Unified ramdisk (supports v4 and v5), auto-detect hypervisor and load driver support, wireless USB (whci-hcd), gnoboot_upgrade boot option - 2/13/2014
  • Renamed mod_add/del boot options, fixed broken init scripts, Infiniband support, MMC/SD support, added more drivers (IB, 1g/10gBE, VirtIO, HyperV, Sound, Wireless, PATA/SATA/SCSI) (alpha5) - 2/09/2014
  • Dual boot menu for v4 and v5, added mod_add and mod_del boot options, and zram module updated to 3.2.54 (alpha4) - 1/30/2014
  • Added more drivers, modular ATA drivers, fixed various bugs, and smaller ramdisk size (alpha3) - 1/27/2014
  • Fixed grub error 22 and working /dev/synobootX (alpha2) - 1/25/2014
  • Added more storage and network drivers, and custom boot logo (alpha1) - 1/24/2014
  • Initial Release (alpha0) - 1/21/2014

Download link:

[spoiler=]http://tinyurl.com/gnoboot :arrow: use jdownloader to get latest version

Edited by Guest

Installation:

• Create a new VMware machine with IDE(all disk supported as of alpha2 release) as primary disk, size doesn't matter as long as its greater than or equal to 32MB.
  • Download a Linux livecd and boot to it.
  • Copy the image to your running livecd.
    scp gnoboot-4.3-3810-alpha0.img whateverhost:~/ or use winscp

• Write the image to your primary disk.
    # dd if=gnoboot-4.3-3810-alpha0.img of=/dev/sda

• Reboot and install DSM.
  • At this stage, DSM is already installed in the disk.
    55ql5l.png
  • It will take 10 minutes or longer before it writes the configuration files, you can either cancel the installation or wait for it to finish. If you cancel, run assistant again and right click setup.
    x1j403.png
  • Connect to your newly installed system.
    a0kjo6.png
  • The default gnoBoot grub.conf is set to empty ihd_num which cause 10 seconds delay during bootup. You have to change ihd_num value to 1 will enable fast booting. Don't change it to higher value as it add more delays.

title gnoboot-4.3-8310 - alpha
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=1 netif_num=0 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=B3JN00310 vga=0x370 loglevel=3
    initrd /rd.gz

Upgrading:

• Before you upgrade to 5.x. Backup your data and edit grub.conf and change default value to 1. You can also move the 5.x entry to make it your default boot image.

default 1
    timeout 10
    fallback 0

title gnoboot-4.x-3810 - alpha
    configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu_v4.lst

title gnoboot-5.x-4418 - alpha
    configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu_v5.lst

title gnoboot-debug
    configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu_debug.lst
  • To mount your boot image just create a symlink from /dev/synoboot1 to /dev/disk1, and then edit /mnt/boot/grub/grub.conf to change the default value.
    > ln -s /dev/synoboot1 /dev/disk1
    > mount /dev/disk1 /mnt

• Run SA to migrate from older version.

Edited by Guest

I've only compiled limited drivers in the kernel. Though, you can try it if your hardware uses the compiled drivers (e.g, JMicron, Marvell, e1000, e1000e, Fusion SCSI, etc).

Future versions will include additional drivers to support a real machine. For now, this build has been developed and tested in VMware.

ok great , thx for your work. In VMware Worksation 10 I have a problem with nic. it doesn't work for me.

the ip can not be taken from DHCP in bridge mode and in nat mode, ip adress is local 127.0.0.1.

- before it fully boot - there is some massage about wrong charakter in mac adress.

img enclose. my problem also exist in vender boot.

i also checked my other VM - and other VM nic works .

I don't know how to give a `dmesg` and `ifconfig` command without first account setup, becouse I can't install DSM without nic - i don't know password for diskstation login before setup dsm.

screen.jpg.4d02a326f6c7336f647f834b8f84a9b2.jpg

Post your *.vmx file, it seems your VM is not using e1000 network card.

i add next network card to this VM , and now it works on second one , but first one is still unable to

Edit the file, change ethernetX.virtualDev value to "e1000".

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "hostonly"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" <----------
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

My next release will include more drivers, watch out for it later this week :wink: .

I just set up another ESXI system to play around with. I followed all the instructions, and able to boot gnoBoot. But when I got to the webpage to start that install process it's including the boot drive (one with gnoBoot on it) as part of the disks it is going to wipe and install on.

Am I missing a step so that gnoBoot doesn't see it's own drive during the install?

I just set up another ESXI system to play around with. I followed all the instructions, and able to boot gnoBoot. But when I got to the webpage to start that install process it's including the boot drive (one with gnoBoot on it) as part of the disks it is going to wipe and install on.

Am I missing a step so that gnoBoot doesn't see it's own drive during the install?

Fixed - download alpha2 and dd it again, no need to reinstall.

Fixed - download alpha2 and dd it again, no need to reinstall.

Just tested it, still the same. I have gnoBoot IDE, and one SCSI to test install, and it wants to write to 2 disks. When I try the same with trantor's boot image it works correctly and doesn't try to install to the boot drive.

Run the following command and post your `cat /proc/partitions`.

for x in `cat /proc/partitions|awk '{print $4}'`; do [ -e /dev/$x ] && echo $x; done

Edit: found the issue, download alpha2 and dd again.

Just tried new one, same problem here. I tried what you said, but there is no awk. So here's the best I can do for info about partitions:

7j5lOF4.png

btw, i tied both DMS 4.3 and 4.5 gnoBoot's.

Just tried new one, same problem here. I tried what you said, but there is no awk. So here's the best I can do for info about partitions:

btw, i tied both DMS 4.3 and 4.5 gnoBoot's.

Looking at image you posted, fdisk no longer see gnoboot. If you try to list /dev/synobootX that's now your boot partition. Is that image before or after installation?

The only problem I see is you are trying to install DSM on 1GB disk. You need at least 5-8GB to make it work.

I tried to replicate your issue, but I wasn't able to.

After formatting the system disk (sdb):

1b036.png

After installing hda1.tgz on disk, boot partition (sda) wasn't formatted.

fjgfgy.png

At this point, I'm just waiting to complete the installation.

2j47odc.png

If you're still having issues, I guess you have to use alpha0. The image is specifically built for VMs and it doesn't include the IDE driver (ata_piix) which makes it impossible get grub error 22 after installation.

My image in my previous post was from before trying to install.

I tried with an 8GB drive like you said, and it still said it was installing to two disks, but the install worked perfectly. But like I said, trantor's boot image just says it sees one disk, so I guess it's just a cosmetic bug during install process.

Thanks for making this, it's pretty cool! And thanks for pointing out my disk size issue for testing, it got me past my other install issue :smile:

I tried with an 8GB drive like you said, and it still said it was installing to two disks, but the install worked perfectly. But like I said, trantor's boot image just says it sees one disk, so I guess it's just a cosmetic bug during install process.

Thanks for making this, it's pretty cool! And thanks for pointing out my disk size issue for testing, it got me past my other install issue :smile:

The kernel was built from scratch with Andy's patches and mine. It's very different from Trantor's boot image and kernel.

The kernel was built from scratch with Andy's patches and mine. It's very different from Trantor's boot image and kernel.

Yeah, I know. I'm just testing stuff, playing around, and pointing out any problems I see. I'm not complaining. If you want to fix them it's up to you.