XPEnology Community

XPEnology gnoBoot

gnoboot

Update for v5 on XenServer

Problem with hard disks persists. During installation of DSM -> Error 38. Tried 4458, 3827, booting with/without gnoboot_me... Still the same :sad:

[ 0.000000] Linux version 3.2.40 (root@gnoboot) (gcc version 4.7.3 20130102 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG 1.18.0) ) #5 SMP Mon Mar 10 20:37:38 CST 2014

Lol, you're using the wrong zImage. That's five-zero kernel which doesn't have the XEN disk patch. :lol:

okey :grin: (misunderstood your gdisk files..), anyway I just downloaded last one just now:

uname -a

Linux DiskStation 3.2.40 #1 SMP Sat Mat 15 13:16:17 CST 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_bromlow_3612xs

DSM 5.0 4458 sucesfully installed on XenServer 6.2SP1 using gnoboot-alpha10.3-zImage !

• Using 32MB primary boot disk, and 8GB second system disk, 2 VCPU, 512MB RAM
  • Using HVM (Other install media, during Xen VM creation).
  • Disabled viridian `xe vm-param-set uuid=... platform:viridian=false` (Makes sure virt-what coretly recognizes Xen)
  • gnoBoot image installed using `dd if=gnoboot-alpha-vfat.img of=/dev/sda1` (Using Debian Live distro)
  • Modified `/boot/grub/menu_alpha.lst` and `/boot/grub/menu_me.lst` added `vga=0x318 sn=B3JN00...`
  • DSM 5.0 4458 installed after booting with grub menu item gnoboot.me –> install/upgrade/downgrade 4458

Thank you gnoBoot! :smile: Thank you very much!

Later this weekend, maybe next week I will try to install xe-guest-utilities, and hopefuly I will give paravirtualization another shot :smile: (If suceeded I will post guide/code here)

Hi - I'm trying to understand how to boot gnoboot from xen - in my case xen on an ubuntu dom0. You mention here you use the zImage file, but then it looks more like you used the vfat.img. If you have any further detail or suggestion I'd appreciate it. I've tried mapping the img files in my config but xen won't boot them. I can map the iso versions, but they also don't boot, though xen does then see them as boot images. Any help really appreciated...

Lol, you're using the wrong zImage. That's five-zero kernel which doesn't have the XEN disk patch. :lol:

okey :grin: (misunderstood your gdisk files..), anyway I just downloaded last one just now:

uname -a

Linux DiskStation 3.2.40 #1 SMP Sat Mat 15 13:16:17 CST 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_bromlow_3612xs

DSM 5.0 4458 sucesfully installed on XenServer 6.2SP1 using gnoboot-alpha10.3-zImage !

• Using 32MB primary boot disk, and 8GB second system disk, 2 VCPU, 512MB RAM
  • Using HVM (Other install media, during Xen VM creation).
  • Disabled viridian `xe vm-param-set uuid=... platform:viridian=false` (Makes sure virt-what coretly recognizes Xen)
  • gnoBoot image installed using `dd if=gnoboot-alpha-vfat.img of=/dev/sda1` (Using Debian Live distro)
  • Modified `/boot/grub/menu_alpha.lst` and `/boot/grub/menu_me.lst` added `vga=0x318 sn=B3JN00...`
  • DSM 5.0 4458 installed after booting with grub menu item gnoboot.me –> install/upgrade/downgrade 4458

Thank you gnoBoot! :smile: Thank you very much!

Later this weekend, maybe next week I will try to install xe-guest-utilities, and hopefuly I will give paravirtualization another shot :smile: (If suceeded I will post guide/code here)

Hi - I'm trying to understand how to boot gnoboot from xen - in my case xen on an ubuntu dom0. You mention here you use the zImage file, but then it looks more like you used the vfat.img. If you have any further detail or suggestion I'd appreciate it. I've tried mapping the img files in my config but xen won't boot them. I can map the iso versions, but they also don't boot, though xen does then see them as boot images. Any help really appreciated...

Hi there,

unfortunately gnoBoot 10.5 (last release) is not working in both PV-mode and Full HW-virt mode.. (problems with disks) What is another problem is that pygrub on XenServer 6.2 does not support LZMA and XZ compressed kernels, thus 10.4 was not working in pvirt.. XS Creedence Alpha should be fixing that..

nanoBoot is not booting on Xen completly... (full-hw-virt and pvrit..)

About how to install gnoBoot.. generaly when gnoBoot was active he was releasing either full images (dd if=gnoboot-zImage.img of=/dev/sda..) or only zImage file if only that changed (mount /dev/sda /mnt; cd /mnt; cp ~/gnoboot-zImage /mnt/zImage;).

Anyway you should better check if /dev/sda1 will be bootable -> cfdisk).

Personaly, for working with gnoBoot I was using Live Debian CD. So I:

1) Created VM using "other install media", choosed Live Debian CD

2) Transfered required files using scp and dd and/or cp... + edit grub config

3) Rebooted VM -> Run gnoBoot in Full-virt-mode

4) Experimented with pygrub, changing xe vm-param-set -> I think I posted another post just regarding this -> Running pvirt -> generaly not succesfull

Hope this helps :smile:

If you will find how to run latest Synology DSM image I would love to know how you managed that :smile:

Hi there,

unfortunately gnoBoot 10.5 (last release) is not working in both PV-mode and Full HW-virt mode.. (problems with disks) What is another problem is that pygrub on XenServer 6.2 does not support LZMA and XZ compressed kernels, thus 10.4 was not working in pvirt.. XS Creedence Alpha should be fixing that..

nanoBoot is not booting on Xen completly... (full-hw-virt and pvrit..)

About how to install gnoBoot.. generaly when gnoBoot was active he was releasing either full images (dd if=gnoboot-zImage.img of=/dev/sda..) or only zImage file if only that changed (mount /dev/sda /mnt; cd /mnt; cp ~/gnoboot-zImage /mnt/zImage;).

Anyway you should better check if /dev/sda1 will be bootable -> cfdisk).

Personaly, for working with gnoBoot I was using Live Debian CD. So I:

1) Created VM using "other install media", choosed Live Debian CD

2) Transfered required files using scp and dd and/or cp... + edit grub config

3) Rebooted VM -> Run gnoBoot in Full-virt-mode

4) Experimented with pygrub, changing xe vm-param-set -> I think I posted another post just regarding this -> Running pvirt -> generaly not succesfull

Hope this helps :smile:

If you will find how to run latest Synology DSM image I would love to know how you managed that :smile:

Hmm, will have to think about this - I was hoping there would be an image I could boot directly with xen. Also using xen on Ubuntu, the config is a bit different. I don't really understand where the Debian live CD comes in - I guess you're booting this then modifying grub to boot gnoBoot?

Also using xen on Ubuntu, the config is a bit different. I don't really understand where the Debian live CD comes in - I guess you're booting this then modifying grub to boot gnoBoot?

I'm trying to use gnoboot with Xen (not Xenserver) on Debian, without any result, kernel is booting, but no disk is found.

How do you do on Ubuntu ? Do you have a cfg config file ?

Thanks for your help.

Also using xen on Ubuntu, the config is a bit different. I don't really understand where the Debian live CD comes in - I guess you're booting this then modifying grub to boot gnoBoot?

I'm trying to use gnoboot with Xen (not Xenserver) on Debian, without any result, kernel is booting, but no disk is found.

Thanks for your help.

That's what I need as well. I haven't been able to get anything to boot so far!

Thanks for your help.

That's what I need as well. I haven't been able to get anything to boot so far!

Problem with disks in latest gnoBoot comes from using pvrit drivers for disks and nics, however latest gnoBoot synoboot is not patched for using /dev/xvda instaed of /dev/sda... at least that is what i think. (gnoBoot solved it once, but then he moved to new upstream kernel.. and this feature was gone..)

I used debian live CD inside VM to manualy copy gnoBoot image to VM disk. It is probably possible from dom0, but I have no experiences with that. Neither I haven't used Xen besides XenServer.

What should work is completly virtualized HW, eg intel nic, and IDE/SATA drives... So gnoBoot / nanoBoot can use standard drivers.. This is something you shoul be able to get using custom cfg file.. (I never tried)

What is our best hope is if nanoBoot will include XEN PVirt drivers... I havent recieved reply on that in nanoboot thread :/

please explain steps to upgrade to 4493 with GnoBoot please.

When I try and update my bootloader form GnoBoot to NanoBoot my homes directories become inaccessible as well as my system crashes.

Is there any way around this, or am i doing something wrong that has caused this, does/has anyone had this issue and how do i overcome.

I have been forced to switch back to GnoBoot...

Please help guys.

hi,

can somebody help me with my wifi problem?

i have tried everything but nothing works.... ;-(

tried several drivers and files but the box still can't find the right ones

Synology2> dmesg | grep iwl

[ 21.531552] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode' failed.

[ 21.539873] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-2030-5.ucode' failed.

[ 21.539876] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: no suitable firmware found!

[ 21.539924] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: PCI INT A disabled

Synology2> insmod /lib/modules/iwlwifi.ko

insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/iwlwifi.ko': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

Hi, I succeded to install my intel centrino 2230 by doing :

- copy the firmware file (http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi) onto /usr/syno/hotplug/firmware

- insmod /lib/modules/cfg80211.ko then insmod /lib/modules/mac80211.ko

- insmod /lib/modules/iwlwifi.ko

wireless module is now loaded wlan0 is listed with the command iwconfig but I cannot see the wifi card onto DSM 5 :sad:

• 2 weeks later...
hi,

[ 21.531552] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode' failed.

[ 21.539873] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-2030-5.ucode' failed.

insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/iwlwifi.ko': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

- copy the firmware file (http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi) onto /usr/syno/hotplug/firmware

wireless module is now loaded wlan0 is listed with the command iwconfig but I cannot see the wifi card onto DSM 5 :sad:

I had the same issue with an USB 1Gbps Ethernet card. I just forgot about this. It will not work. Don't know the reason.

Anyhow, if you don't have Ethernet next to that nas, just try to use some power line adapters. You plug them into the power outlets and they use the power copper lines for transferring internet data :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi,

I had the same issue with an USB 1Gbps Ethernet card. I just forgot about this. It will not work. Don't know the reason.

Anyhow, if you don't have Ethernet next to that nas, just try to use some power line adapters. You plug them into the power outlets and they use the power copper lines for transferring internet data :smile:

Does anybody have a problem where a virtual machine with DSM5.0-4458 would shutdown every day a random time because of "disk overheating" ?

Disks are virtual, how can they overheat ? :smile:

Also from /var/log/messages i frequently have such errors :

Mar 25 15:05:01 DSMesxi5 SystemInfo.cgi: disk_info_get.c:82 Failed to open /dev/sdc, errno=No such file or directory

And last few lines before it shutdown :

Mar 19 19:20:42 DSMesxi5 root: /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S40irqbalance.sh stopped irqbalance
Mar 19 19:20:47 DSMesxi5 synocheckshare: synocheckshare_vol_unmount.c:147 Unmount Share [iNTERNAL] [/dev/vg1000/lv] [/volume1
Mar 19 19:20:47 DSMesxi5 kernel: [ 1749.903284] md: md2: set sdd5 to auto_remap [0]
Mar 19 19:20:47 DSMesxi5 kernel: [ 1749.903286] md: md2: set sdf5 to auto_remap [0]
Mar 19 19:20:47 DSMesxi5 kernel: [ 1749.903288] md: md2: set sde5 to auto_remap [0]

Mar 20 18:34:06 DSMesxi5 findhostd: findhostd.c:119(FHOSTDProcessNameGet) open [/proc/30933/cmdline] fail:(2)[No such file or
Mar 20 18:34:06 DSMesxi5 findhostd: findhostd.c:69(FHOSTDExit) exit on signal[15]
Mar 20 18:34:06 DSMesxi5 root: /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S98findhostd.sh stop findhostd
killall: synolunbkp: no process killed
Mar 20 18:34:11 DSMesxi5 root: /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/S40irqbalance.sh stopped irqbalance
Mar 20 18:34:15 DSMesxi5 synocheckshare: synocheckshare_vol_unmount.c:147 Unmount Share [iNTERNAL] [/dev/vg1000/lv] [/volume1
Mar 20 18:34:16 DSMesxi5 kernel: [27216.870381] md: md2: set sdd5 to auto_remap [0]
Mar 20 18:34:16 DSMesxi5 kernel: [27216.870383] md: md2: set sdf5 to auto_remap [0]
Mar 20 18:34:16 DSMesxi5 kernel: [27216.870385] md: md2: set sde5 to auto_remap [0]

And this are always the last line before each forced shutdown. Any info on that?

hello, I have the same problem as yours. Did you find a solution for this? Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have DSM 5.0-4458 with update 2 in virtual box that the instructions for this post and after update, is possible to update to 5.1-5004? I try with the process for update 2 whit sed command but not work.

I tried with other versions like 4482 and the command, but not work:

sed 's/flashupdateDeb/flashupdateDeb1/' /autoupd@te.info > /autoupd@te.info1
mv /autoupd@te.info1 /autoupd@te.info

I get the error:

sed: /autoupd@te.info: No such file or directory

I do a lot of installations of applications and I prefer do in my virtual machine before in my DS 214play, so I would need test with the same version to test it.

DSM say in the status DSM5.1-5004 is available for download.

I have read any post newly updated gnoboot kernell they have update to 4482 at least, but not found the process.

Regards

It is not possible to upgrade to or install DSM 5.1 yet.

The sed-command is only useable when upgrading within the same build version of DSM, what Synology like to call Updates. That is DSM 5.0 b4528 to DSM b4528 Update 2.

The latest available version to Xpenology is DSM 5.0 b4528 Update 2.

Hi, thanks for you answer. I saw yesterday after my post the process with nanoboot to update to 5.0-4528 and 5.1-5004, so as you say I could update to 5.0-4528 with the option install/update of nanoboot and after update with sed to 5.0-4528 update 2. It work perfect.

I tryed with 5.1-5004 too, but although I could upgrade, I have the problem with the volumes, this is the result:

Post init
Init: Unable to mount /dev filesystem: No such device
===== Start udevd ======
===== Trigger device plug event =====

And in DSM I not have any volumes to create.

Regards

It took so long before finally releasing this iSCSI patch to the community. I'm no longer interested in maintaining/keeping this stuff.

Releasing my kernel build script soon, but no support or whatever. If you want to donate or appreciate my work email me.

Really a shame to see you go Gnoboot :-/

• 1 month later...

Problem with disks in latest gnoBoot comes from using pvrit drivers for disks and nics, however latest gnoBoot synoboot is not patched for using /dev/xvda instaed of /dev/sda... at least that is what i think. (gnoBoot solved it once, but then he moved to new upstream kernel.. and this feature was gone..)

I used debian live CD inside VM to manualy copy gnoBoot image to VM disk. It is probably possible from dom0, but I have no experiences with that. Neither I haven't used Xen besides XenServer.

What should work is completly virtualized HW, eg intel nic, and IDE/SATA drives... So gnoBoot / nanoBoot can use standard drivers.. This is something you shoul be able to get using custom cfg file.. (I never tried)

What is our best hope is if nanoBoot will include XEN PVirt drivers... I havent recieved reply on that in nanoboot thread :/

This is pretty close to it. I spent some time in the summer working on a kernel build unique to my hardware. Part of which was running the guest using PVHVM drivers.

If I remember correctly the first part of the problem is that Xen PV disk drivers don't use the SCSI drivers that synology relies on. Instead it uses a special block device driver and remaps the drives to xvd[] style mappings. The second is that Xen block drivers aren't seen as systemdisks. Once I made these change I had issues with remapping of the xvd[] devices conflicting with the sd[] device numbering. I had to create a new boot param which would add an offset to the sd[] drives.

i.e. 2 xen drives would mean the first drive using SCSI drivers would now utilise sdc and not sda. Preventing the system hangs on boot.

Finally I tweaked the kernel configs and rebuilt it from scratch. After that I was able to use 5.0 with PVHVM drivers (with a heavily customised boot image).

It is possible to run PVHVM and 5.0, it just takes a lot of effort.

Additional Notes:

I was also never able to get the drives to shutdown reliably when rebooting. I had to repair the storage on boot, however, none of the data was ever compromised. Additionally the dom0 logs were flooded with this message, regardless of my memory settings in the config file. I think this is a bug in dom0's kernel though as I've seen it in other DomU's.

[8200018.808510] xen:balloon: reserve_additional_memory: add_memory() failed: -17

• 3 weeks later...