XPEnology Community

Expanding disk group & disk crashed!

md1032

Greetings, i have 6 WD 3TB RED and i added 2 more to my system and when i was expanding the disk group it showed me that one of the new ones crashed

6oVlUtC.jpg

QaP6spF.jpg

My version is DSM 5.2-5565

What should i do?

Can i stop the operation and check the crashed HDD to my desktop to check for bad sectors etc?

Should i allow it to end and then do the replacement with a new one?

If i leave it to expand the disk and one more crashes i will lose all my data (SHR2)?

Thank you in advance for your help!

The crashed one is from the new ones.

The log wrote errors like that "SYSTEM: Write error at internal disk [4] sector 121006024." so i guess either the sata cable is bad (cause i used an old one) or the HDD has indeed bad sectors.

Now the expanding is at 50% with no other errors...

I will hit the repair when the expanding is done (not its at 80%) and then i will take out the disk to check it at windows desktop with WD diagnostics.

Thankfully the shared folder of the xpenology is visible at my desktop so i can do a minor backup of some important stuff i have there.

So the expanding finished, the volume is of course downgraded.

I inserted the bad drive at my desktop and wd diagnostics found some bad sectors that repaired them...so what should i do next? Re-insert it to xpenology and repair the volume or replace it with a new one?

So the expanding finished, the volume is of course downgraded.

I inserted the bad drive at my desktop and wd diagnostics found some bad sectors that repaired them...so what should i do next? Re-insert it to xpenology and repair the volume or replace it with a new one?

Definitely replace it, since that is a permanent issue on that disk, it will reappear again if you keep it.

since you are still under warranty, might as well change it and get a new replacement.