XPEnology Community

How to update from DSM 5.0-4493

antigravity83

Hi everyone

I set up XPEnology on a HP N54L a couple of years ago, and it's running really well.

However I've never upgraded past DSM 5.0-4493 Update 7, because at the time, there were all these reports that you could potentially lose your setup etc when upgrading.

Is this still the case? I'd love to update to a newer version, but don't want to lose my setup. It's running perfectly.

in DSM control panel, go to 'update and restore'. Set the 'update settings' to 'important updates only'. Check for update and see what version you are offered.

If you update to that version first (with the matching boot loader and pat files) then you should be able to update again to 5.2.xxxx

You might be able to jump direct to 5.2.5967 with that boot loader.

you should backup your system/data before you 'play' :smile:

Thanks for the info - much appreciated

So I'll need to update the bootloader on my USB with whatever version DSM I can directly update to?

When you say backup your system/data- what do you mean? I have backed up the configuration in DSM- is that the same?

the boot loader is generally 'optimised' to work with a particular dsm version. for example some features of 5967 dont work with a lower boot loader.

things may not stable if you used say, 5.0 loader with 5.2 dsm so I would recommend updating

by backup I mean your config, packages and data in your volumes (eg music, photos, files, videos). There is always a risk that upgrading could 'upset' your volumes, So its good practice to have a backup of critical data. an SHR volume is not a 'backup', its just a form of data protection/integrity. if you have important stuff you should back it up to an external device or service (eg crashplan) or a cloud system