XPEnology on HP Proliant Microserver Gen8

Mentat

HP Proliant Mocroserver Gen8 is the new "star" from HP

c03760147.png

4 HOT Swappable HDD

HP B120i RAID

It supports RAID 0,1,10 (not 5)

For RAID 5 a RAID card is necessary.

I installed XPEnology 4.3 without problems and it's working, with some exceptions:

1. HDD spindown/Hybernation is not working

2. Power Off button is not working (no busybox support in 4.3)

3. WOL not working in 4.3

Power consumption: 35W

• 1 month later...

You can try using the tool "hdparm" to set the spin down time manually. Also usually, removing the boot USB drive helps (on Gen7 microservers).

As for the RAID5 support: given that Synology initializes all disks separately, there is little to no point using the built-in RAID system. If you do, in Synology you'll only see the RAID disks, and while it will be safe on hardware-level, Synology won't be able to manage it. I'd highly suggest to use the built-in options for RAID: SHR seems to be the best, and you can also add hot spare drives to it too.

I am willing to spend $500 on the 4 Bay NAS System.

Would I be better off getting a Gen 7 or Gen 8 Microserver?

Or are they any better products which work with DSM that you can think of?

I want to run the following.

• Plex Media Server
    VPN Server
    Web Server
    MYSQL Server
    Radius Server
    Sabnzbd
    Sickbeard
    DNS Server
    LDAP Server
    Couchpotato

I wish there was software like DSM for Linux.

Sure there is

cPanel, zPanel, (Mainly for website hosting, nothing else)

Webmin (A little different but it still needs some advance knowledge for configure servers)

It's not as simple and nice to install software packages on these systems.

DSM is simple, fast to configure, provides all required packages for home. But then there is a lot more software the will just work out of box and provide better security with CentOS.

We all love the WebGUI of DSM and we are missing this WebGUI on our linux operating systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody using XPenology with the B120i on HP Gen8 Microservers?

My only concern is the noise. I need to know if using the built-in RAID controller helps iLO get the temperatures for HDDs and lower the fan speed. In AHCI mode, the fan speed is 37% and the servers is quite noisy.

Also, what synoboot version are you using? 1.4 beta seems to have issues with USB devices (UPS, printer, HDD)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Any news on the fan issue?

I'm planning to get a second-hand G8 and the only thing I plan to install is XPEnology.

I found this solution for the fan issue: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2147

And this solution for the WOL issue: http://www.xpenology.nl/wake-on-lan/

Is it possible to combine these? Or speaking in more general terms: is it possible to have no fan noise and the wake on LAN (WOL) support?

And a last question - just to be sure - will this setup support:

VPN

Cloud (being a cloud and connection to dropbox, box, OneDrive, Google Drive)

RADIUS server

Mail

Thanks in advance :smile:

Yeah. There is a bios that lower the fan even to 5-12% (with AHCI). I will post the link to it soon. (Atm i'm from phone).

Sent from my CloudMobile using Tapatalk

LE: Bios ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1 ... 401/v98895 , also the 2.03 iLo FW http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/publ ... nvOid=4138

Extract both, and upload them with the current iLo ..

You can try using the tool "hdparm" to set the spin down time manually. Also usually, removing the boot USB drive helps (on Gen7 microservers).

As for the RAID5 support: given that Synology initializes all disks separately, there is little to no point using the built-in RAID system. If you do, in Synology you'll only see the RAID disks, and while it will be safe on hardware-level, Synology won't be able to manage it. I'd highly suggest to use the built-in options for RAID: SHR seems to be the best, and you can also add hot spare drives to it too.

Can you enlighten me one the part on how removing the USB drive will cause the HDDs to spin down?

I don't get it...

I'm using DSM 5, working perfect. About plex dont know, i dont like to use any DLNA who using transcoding (i'm using serviio, with transcoding disabled). I wish to use twonky too :smile:.

Sent from my CloudMobile using Tapatalk

Have you installed DSM with ESXI or USB method? Was there any issue with noise?

Thanks!