XPEnology Community

Slow download rate

Xurasao

Hi everybody

After i got my NAS finally worked, i have some trouble with the download speed on my NAS.

Whenever i try to download or copy something on to my NAS, i am limited to 1.3MB/s (14.4Mbit/s).

Our home internet is a 100Mbit/s. My NAS is connected via DLAN, but i also checked the connection and i should be able to download with 8MB/s with the DLAN. So I have no idea, why my NAS is that slow. Please help me.

Kind regards,

Xurasao

When you say DLAN do you mean an network/mains adapter system? If so, these can be slow as normally they can only transmit or receive, not both at the same time.

Can you try plugging the NAS into the same switch/router as your PC and see what speed you get.

Well i checked the rate on the adapter itself with my laptop and the rate was pretty well, means i had 8MB/s download. I also think that they can do both (send/receive), cause i use it since 5 years and never had problems with it. To answer your question, yes i already plugged it to the same Switch as my computer is connected to and had the same problem. But thank you very much for your fast reply.

There have been people reporting slow network transfers with some brands of NIC's, eg Realtek and I think the drivers were improved in a recent release. Can you try another NIC, maybe Intel based as these are generally 'good'.

Have a look at the MTU settings on the NAS and try some values, eg 1492 rather than 1500 and also if the DLAN has any settings to adjust. I know you say your laptop works well, but maybe its because the LAN card/drivers are 'smarter' and are making adjustments that XPE/DSM doesn't :smile:.

Another thing is the 'spec' of your NAS, the HDD speed, SHR etc. Network speed can be limited by the speed of the HDD's read/write. It should be fast enough for your network, but.....

agree on the Intel based cards, the generally perform way faster than other brands (Mavell, Realtek)

with Intel cards a 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps) can run average steady at actual 952 Mbps (119 MB/s), which is pretty amazing, as the same can rarely be archived using Mavell or Realtek cards, with those I can barely get 500 Mbps average

Now if you have several Intel NIC like those Quad ports, then you can Bond them together, and it'll become 4000 Mbps, of course your source machine will also require to have a Quad port to make use of that.

having the Quad nic Team Bonded, when the max speed is reached like the above example it will spill over to use the next 1000 Mbps card to run another set of heavy transfer, so, you can have simultaneous 4 sets of 952 Mbps (119 MB/s) transfer happening concurrently. :grin::geek:

or just receive from 4 separate machines each one doing 952 Mbps (119 MB/s) to the XPEnology server :wink:

my scheduled daily Acronis Backups runs really fast an efficiently in that.

Well but my target isn't to reach as max speed as possible. I just use my nas to stream some videos from it and store documents. So if i need to store anything on my NAS I mostly download it right to the NAS and so my speed is limited to 100MBit anyway. I just dont get it why i can reach at max 10MBit. I will buy a Intel Networkcard to test it. Kinda thank you for this hint. I'll keep u informed.

New and supported network cards should be discovered automatically after DSM started. Keep in mind that the new card will get a dynmic IP.

Notice about DLAN: most adapters (devolo, tp-link, avm, etc.) don't deliver good rates and their measured connection rates differ from real throughputs.

For example: I used a pair Devolo 1200+ in my home network. Devolo's management tool said that both adapters were connected with 640Mbit. The real throughput was around 220Mbit.

Do I have to install the driver for the network card as soon as i plugged it in, or will it do itself?

no driver required, if you buy ones that are already supported by XPEnology.

but HOLD that idea, don't buy an intel NIC just yet.

I forgot you mentioned you are using those POWERLINE ETHERNET ... those are utterly garbage IMO, I've tried several generations from 100 Mbps, to 500 Mbps, to the latest 1000+ Gbps and they are all FAKE! from all major brands like Linksys, Cisco, Western Digital, TPlink, Dlink etc... none of them deliver as promised.

Why?! because, it's highly affected by the kind of power wires you have in your house, also affected by power line interference (drill, saw, blender, electric lawnmower, etc), also distance from one room of the house to the other room, also how the wires are wired, if they go through the main switch board, is even worse, you'll be lucky to get 10 Mbps in those cases.

So, in the end I just went for WiFi, and I ended up with better speed, and stable connection.

Get a good WiFi AP / Router that can do 1900+ Mbps, get a good WiFi usb dongle that can receive 1900+ or as high as possible.

Solution solved.

Ditch the Powerline Ethernet, they are a joke, they need a lot more refinement before it can be actually usable like DSL and Cable modems.

Powerline Ethernet uses pretty much the same tech found in DSL modems and Cable modems, but it is too susceptible to interruptions and irregularities, and interference in the power lines.

It's specially bad in old houses with old wires.

From your original description, sounds like you are running exactly into the same kind of problem I ran into when I was testing out those Power Line Ethernet, I was hoping they would work better than WiFi, before the new generation of WiFi N arrived, because back then WiFi on 2.4 GHz was very unstable, and I needed something more stable for my Home Theatre setup, as the Server was in the Basement, but the Home Theatre was on 2nd floor, and didn't want to drill holes / cut dry wall to run a new CAT6 thought several floors and several rooms to reach the basement.

So, I went with the Power Line Ethernet, only to find they are mediocre at best, might be OK for web surfing and email checking, but definitely not good for video streams, not even youtube.

Each new generation I was hoping for improved technology, but it ended up being the same, it can't even deliver a true 100 Mbps, Speet Test showed it was more like 2 Mbps to 10 Mbps average, which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay slower than WiFi G 54 Mbps / WiFi N gen1 300 Mbps

luckily WiFi N gen3 came about 1000+ Mbps, then with passing years improved even more, and the recent generation of WiFi N are solid, and really fast, faster than 1Gbps CAT6 wired connections, and they are less prone to interference in 5 GHz.

The house was built in 2016 so i think it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway i got no other option instead of DLAN becuase there are 4 stocks between our WLAN and the NAS. And i already said, i tested the speed which was fine. I also already bought the new network adapter and if it won't work, ill plug it in to my computer. So I'll test it. Thank you very much for your help.

Xurasao, what are the specs of your NAS?

I don't think that your issue lies with PowerLine, but I would say that the newness of your house doesn't necessarily help. Modern wiring tends to include things like earth leakage and surge protection technologies that can filter out the high frequency signals used by PowerLine and stop it working. That's one of the reasons I don't use PL in my own home.