XPEnology Community

Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F compatibility

Ferlez

Hi,

Im new to XPEnology, so I apologise in advance in my questions are stupid. I have a 213j Synology that I primarily use for torrents, sonarr, CP, Plex (tho no transcoding), backups etc. Basicaly everything works, it just sooo slow, and things stop working because its old and slow.

I had my eye on the 1515+ but for that money I can get the supermicro board with Xeon D 1520.

My question is, if I will be able to install XPE onto it and will everything work as intended. Does anyone have experience with the board and cpu and are the drivers supported. I tried to find it on the supported HW page but with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

2 part answer for your 2 part question.

Yes, you can install XPE onto a compatible set of hardware and everything will work just fine.

It'll be exactly like this https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... _and_later

Note: Please make a full backup of your data before you try it.

For example if ryou DS213j is running DSM 6.0 and you migrate back to XPE 5.2 you might encounter some errors.

It'll still work but it gets more complicated, there's a sticky about how to reverse DSM 6.0 back to DSM 5.2

Now, part 2 of your question/answer re: Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F

I don't have personal experience with that board, so I can not comment on that.

However if the Chipsets on that board are compatible with the supported hardware listed on the sticky, then you "should" be fine

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10973

The specsheet is very vague...

http://www.supermicro.com/products/moth ... -TLN2F.cfm

CPU is fine

Chiptset is so vague "System on Chip" doesn't say actual chipset brand and model, by educated guess, it "should" be intel Broadwell

Network 1 Realtek RTL8201N PHY, this might not work, it's not listed in the hardware supported list.

There is no mention of the 10Gbps, seems like a sold separately add-on, not included with the motherboard.

I couldnt find anything myself.

Did find this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14533

I made an home server and lab with this hardware 6 months ago. I use Esxi with 4 vm (2 linux, 1 windows and a synology). I have 6 HD in raid 1. I bought a U-NAS NSC-800 for the box and a Raid card LSI like Diverge. The motherboard has a small fan. I have no heal hardware issue. The temp of the cpu is arorund 55°C, Hard drives : 34-39°C.

It's a great hardware this motherboard works like a charm 24h/24 !!

I have that motherboard actually. If all you're going to use it for is for a nas/plex server, brantje is correct, its overpriced. I use mine for ESXi, and have Xpenology as a VM (passing HBA to VM using VT-d) My other VM's include plex, windows media center running MCE buddy, some test VM's, (Domain Controller/ DNS etc, minecraft server for the kids). If you wanna do a decent amount of virtualization, then this board's value proposition is signifant. (128GB of ram supported vs 16gb (on most ITX board, 32gb is supported by the platform itself, IPMI, 45 watt vs 85W on the core i5) also significantly higher passmark score - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.ph ... 5B%5D=2507

Again, if all you're doing is running plex and camera's I wouldn't recommend it, unless your "VM Server" requirements have some VM's that actually require some decent CPU.

so...

• 8 months later...

Hi :smile:,

just getting this thread running again. With the C2000 atom problems intel is now admitting I am keen to avoid any of that generation so this board becomes a good option (and more powerful) - especially once I add a HBA.

Has anyone had success or able to comment on how this would go Bare metal install for Xpenology (hopefully 6.x so I can use BTRFS).

As best I can tell the IPMI will run regardless of Xpenology compatibility yes?

The 10GBe NIC's are part of the SOC (X540 or X550 I believe). THe chipset *should* be the standard one for the Xeon D model.

Video is Aspeed chip but also has IPMI anyway which should be fine yes?

https://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/ ... -TLN2F.cfm