XPEnology Community

memo: Disk Groups

AllGamer

So, while playing around with different configurations, and different machine builds.

I noticed it's quite fool proof, if you have previously designated a set of 2 or 4 or # combination number of disk into a disk group.

Then you are free to basically move the same group of disk from computer to computer, or even real DSM Synology boxes, and it won't complain at all, even if you mix the order, and not sequential.

When you plug it back into another machine, it will boot up just fine as if nothing ever happened.

this is great for when you want to migrate the same HDD from one machine to another machine.

I've tried this before without create a Disk Group, and the result is not quite the same, if the order changed from 1234, to 1342 disk orders, then it will complain the RAID was crashed or something like that.

So, it's highly recommended to work with Disk Groups, then create a volume inside the disk group for headache free transitions from machine to machine, and it wont matter which SATA/SAS controller it's plugged into, as it will know that disk, belongs to that Disk Group.

• 2 weeks later...

something I have done in the past in order to test various upgrades is to build a system with 2 disks in SHR (both same size) and them shut system down and pull one disk and run on different hardware. Obviously DSM reports a broken array, I then install yet another disk an rebuild the array. I then keep the original 1/2 mirror for future rebuild and test (I have a lot

of old disks laying around)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Synology's system has been using GPT for some time now - disk order is not based on the SATA controller, but rather on the GPT disk IDs. Thus, even if you completely replace the hardware under your disks, your OS, settings, everything will be working (since the OS mirrors itself to a smaller partition on each and every storage drive, it will boot no matter what).

• 4 months later...

THis is really useful thanks :smile:

Can I take away from this that if I build my disk group and label my drives (number them) at the outset when I define the Disk Group then even if they are reordered DSM will still show them in the physically installed sequence?

Eg - disk group created WD1, WD2, WD3 will show up based on physical connection sequence (SATA onboard followed by HBA). DSM will show the sequence correctly.

If I re-order them to WD1, WD3, WD2 then my DSM listing will show them in that order?

I do not have drive bays that have an LED to identify a fault....

THis is really useful thanks :smile:

Can I take away from this that if I build my disk group and label my drives (number them) at the outset when I define the Disk Group then even if they are reordered DSM will still show them in the physically installed sequence?

Eg - disk group created WD1, WD2, WD3 will show up based on physical connection sequence (SATA onboard followed by HBA). DSM will show the sequence correctly.

If I re-order them to WD1, WD3, WD2 then my DSM listing will show them in that order?

I do not have drive bays that have an LED to identify a fault....

From experience, the LUN# or physical HDD# don't necessary matches within Synology to actual physical layout.

Most of the time the Disk# (LUN#) is determined by the SATA Controller you are using.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i am currently building my nas with dsm 5.2. I have some questions on disk group.

Do i make a disk group first before creating a volume? In future i wan to add in more hdd to my volume, do i do it under disk group or volume?

I am abit confuse between disk group n volume.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Hi, i am currently building my nas with dsm 5.2. I have some questions on disk group.

Do i make a disk group first before creating a volume? In future i wan to add in more hdd to my volume, do i do it under disk group or volume?

I am abit confuse between disk group n volume.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Hello,

This is a very generic question. Google is your friend.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=disk+group+vs+volume

• 1 year later...

many thanks for information.  I am currently using DS3615xs DSM 6.1.7 on a custom build H61 board, 3 hard disk as Raid 5, ext4 as Raid Group 1 configuration without hardware raid card, everything working fine and my question is if this should be safe to move the same group of disk from computer to computer?

many thanks.