XPEnology Community

mITX mainboard upgrade

sandisxxx

Hello community, is there any best practice how to proceed when upgrading Mainboard on existing XPEnology system?

I now have Intel J1900 mITX mainboard and I am thinking of upgrading to something more powerful in order to be able to stream movies to one, max two devices.

Definetly I will upgrade to Intel chipset/CPU.

Do I need to re-install completely or will the system "survive" the upgrade?

What is the best recommended practice?

Thanks

Edited by Guest

And there is another question, if Intel N3700 passive cooled mITX board can handle the Streaming video to one device, maximum two occasinally while keeping the CPU load at some acceptable level. Currently I get to 100% CPU load when streaming video to one device with the J1900 CPU.

In particular:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157626

I don't know if all the 4 SATA ports will be working, two are ASM1061 and the other two are probably intel

and if the LAN RTL811GRis supported.

I 'migrated' a real DS212j to xpe using this mobo and added two new disks to create a 4 disk unit and it all worked fine. I pre tested the mobo and everything worked ok in xpe. The unit is not used for transcoding so can't comment on that.

in theory you should be able to move your existing HDDs to this mobo and it should be ok, but I would backup data anyway

I 'migrated' a real DS212j to xpe using this mobo and added two new disks to create a 4 disk unit and it all worked fine. I pre tested the mobo and everything worked ok in xpe. The unit is not used for transcoding so can't comment on that.

in theory you should be able to move your existing HDDs to this mobo and it should be ok, but I would backup data anyway

Thanks for reply, so now I know that it's working with the current build. Did you have to install any additional drivers?

If somebody can comment on the CPU power vs encoding videos, I'd appreciate.

After some google research made, I have the impression, that the N3700 CPU is almost the same power as the older(and more power consuming) J1900.

Therefore I have to look for something better, such as some core i3 CPU witch active cooler + mITX board with a standard CPU socket.

Again, any suggestions will be appreciated.

I have checked also the Avoton Atom C2750 which has regarding to benchmarks even less power than the J1900.