XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

So I got DSM 6 (6.0.1-7393) working (volumes stay mounted).

Here's a VMware VM if anyone wants to try it.

You can use VMware Player to run it.

Just add a new SATA hard drive before booting.

If you want console access, use PuTTY to connect to the named pipe \\.\pipe\com_1 (speed 115200) to connect to the VM's serial port.

This is pretty much it: add a SATA disk, boot and go to http://find.synology.com, configure and you're done.

DSM 6.7z

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So how did you cracked it?

I found the protection code and patched it. I guess this isn't a new protection with v6 and that XPEnology did the same thing for v5, so I don't know why a v6 hasn't already been done.

will there be a iso for the new bootloader?

It's somewhat already possible to install that on a physical machine, but the only drivers included by Synology are the ones for their hardware.

To make it usable somewhere else you'd first need to compile the drivers.

press tab to edit options

automatic boot in 0 seconds...

Loading ../zimage... ok

Loading../rd.gz... ok

early console in decompress_kernel

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.

Bootng the kernel.

_

this is what I get

look like crash in 0 seconds

press tab to edit options

automatic boot in 0 seconds...

Loading ../zimage... ok

Loading../rd.gz... ok

early console in decompress_kernel

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.

Bootng the kernel.

_

this is what I get

look like crash in 0 seconds

Proceed forward to http://find.synology.com on another system and it should find a new NAS on your network.

Had to mess around with the boot and select "Install" vs "Run" a few times to get it to finally accept DSM 6.0.1 install. I was able to get it to boot but could not create a volume. Will try again when I have more time. Thanks okitsme for your contribute.

You MUST NOT boot it with Install (that's why there's no time to choose).

Let it boot, and go to find.synology.com.

If you've booted it once with Install, you should restore the latest snapshot to make sure it didn't mess anything.

And yeah, there's no console on screen with Synology's kernel.

So after the "Booting the kernel" message, the screen doesn't change but it's running in the background.

If you really want console access, read the initial post.

So how did you cracked it?

I found the protection code and patched it. I guess this isn't a new protection with v6 and that XPEnology did the same thing for v5, so I don't know why a v6 hasn't already been done.

Hi,

could you explain what you patched ? and how ?

thanks in advance.

Regards.

Wow, good job Oktisme. This looks very promising. As Koroziv already mentioned, is there a way to make this work on esxi 6? Are packages and volumes fully accessible? Has anyone tested with this indexed content search and document previews?

Here, I downgraded it to 10.x since it tells me that 9 doesn't support SATA, which is required, and that 10 is supported by ESXi 6.0.

DSM 6 Workstation 10.x.7z

I haven't tested all packages, but so far they work.

Volumes are accessible and stay mounted.

I just tried the document viewer with pdf, xlsm, docx and it works.

I can configure the indexed search and it tells me that the indexing is done; don't really know how to test if it really works though.

If you like me would like to play around with the Virtual DSM Manager, then you need more than one NIC.

In VMware add more NICs. Make sure the VM is off and then open the "DSM 6.vmx" file in a text editor.

Find ethernetXX.virtualDev = "e1000" (eg. ethernet2.virtualDev = "e1000") and change it to ethernetXX.virtualDev = "e1000e" save the changes and then start the VM again.

DSM will discover the new NICs.

@Oktisme: glad to hear everything is working. Unfortunately, on my end I tried to add the last one you posted to my esxi inventory and it was complainig about unsupported disk. Even tried converting it but got i/o error in the vmware converter.

Here, I downgraded it to 10.x since it tells me that 9 doesn't support SATA, which is required, and that 10 is supported by ESXi 6.0.

DSM 6 Workstation 10.x.7z

I haven't tested all packages, but so far they work.

Volumes are accessible and stay mounted.

I just tried the document viewer with pdf, xlsm, docx and it works.

I can configure the indexed search and it tells me that the indexing is done; don't really know how to test if it really works though.

Thank you very much for this. I still can't boot on my setup, but that's my problem :smile:

I run esxi on a hp gen8; I copied the vm, added a new hdd and no joy :

"Failed to start the virtual machine.

Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.

Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0, './Boot.vmdk.REDO_kF29hq'

Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 2. Ensure that the disk has been imported."