XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

hi all,

i'm on XPenology 6 thanks to the old VM (with DSM 6.0.1 from oktisme here) posted time ago in this thread (inside ESXi 6 on a Microserver G8).

I've seen that there's are now a few alternatives (DSM 6.0.2 loader by jun or bootloader 2.2/2.3 -soon- by quicknick)

what would you advice as best solution to use?

what's the best path to switch to this bootloader (I think the patched kernel in my VM doesn't support newest version of DSM right?)?

make a new VM with this bootloader and then add my 2 RDM to it and then upgrade DSM?

thanks for suggestions!!

• 4 weeks later...

Im having trouble getting Jun's 1.0.1 DSM 6 bootloader to boot properly on my Proliant ML10 V2 server.

I tried using unetbootin, that allowed me to boot but changing the VID and PID did not work and I still got that error 13. I tried using Rufus's default options and just command line DD but the server doesn't boot at all. The rufus method works perfectly fine on my regular desktop but not the server.

For those who successfully boot/installed DSM 6 on the ML10 how did you prepare your USB drive? Trying to narrow down what i might have done wrong.

As of yet, I have been UNABLE to get any of these suggested DSM 6 solutions working in any way, on ESXi 5.5, 6, or 6.5. I have no issues with the 5x versions though.

I always end up with some variation of "Failed to power on virtual machine DSM 6. Unsupported or invalid disk type 2 for 'scsi0:0'. Ensure that the disk has been imported. Click here for more details. "

Has anyone developed a bootable ISO for install yet?

• 3 weeks later...
As of yet, I have been UNABLE to get any of these suggested DSM 6 solutions working in any way, on ESXi 5.5, 6, or 6.5. I have no issues with the 5x versions though.

I always end up with some variation of "Failed to power on virtual machine DSM 6. Unsupported or invalid disk type 2 for 'scsi0:0'. Ensure that the disk has been imported. Click here for more details. "

I can provide a working 6.0.x OVA that I have remotely deployed to 6/6.5 ESXi, PM me for info.

I can provide a working 6.0.x OVA that I have remotely deployed to 6/6.5 ESXi, PM me for info.

I am a new user and can't PM. Would you mind sharing it with me via another method? Thanks in advance!

I am a new user and can't PM. Would you mind sharing it with me via another method? Thanks in advance!

Here you go: https://mega.nz/#!Vk40FCDT!r2ertz7Eyoeh ... W2p1GLgzfs

just add drives and install

details about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26952

I'm pretty thrilled that I found this project recently since I've become used to the features and interface of Synology NAS boxes after starting my new job. I have a few questions though for any of the long-time XPEnology users. For home use I'm currently running a 4x4TB NAS4Free RaidZ2 on a small E3-1220v3 / 16GB Ram NAS. Its been working okay for a couple years but thought about expanding to a little large case with another 2 drives. Since I will have to move the data off to upgrade the array anyway I thought about switching to XPEnology. The btrfs with LZO compression seems to be pretty close to the LZ4 in ZFS that I have enabled so that is a plus. I am using a 64GB SSD for an L2ARC "Read" cache but the prospect of also upgrading to a couple 120GB or larger SSDs for read/write cache also seems like a bonus. Has anyone transitioned recently from another NAS OS and has any input on switching? Thanks

to edit synoinfo.conf you must ssh and then follow this to enable SHR with sudo:

edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

comment out/delete

CODE: SELECT ALL

supportraidgroup="yes"

then add

CODE: SELECT ALL

support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes"

Hi,

I got this error message:

-ash: edit: command not found

In order to edit a file you need to use an editor (program) like "vi" or "nano" (for linux) or "notepad+" (for windows)

Thank you, i'm a beginner...

I found out how to do it and i did it.

But it doesn't work.

I installed DSM 6.0.2 and the 8th update. I used Jun install.

When i edited the synoinfo.conf file the supportraidgroup="yes" line was missing (not a big deal since i had to delete it) and i add support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes" line somewhere.

I assume the position of the line is not the problem.

Any idea?

ThX

Has anyone got a working ESXi version for DSM 6.1 / details of how to deploy the bootloarder by Jun for vmware?

viewtopic.php?p=92170#p92170

Use the one in my last post if you are lazy :smile:

nothing diferent about the deployment method, the same as 6.0. Get it and test stuff on it, I don't have the time to play with all the apps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

im running DSM on debian KVM.

the only image i got working is DSM_DS3615xs_7393_boot.img from dynax, page 24.

is it normal that booting takes about 5 minutes?

i cannot get any other image to run under debian.

is there an image for straight KVM (no vmware, no ESXi, no proxmox).

i tested on windows and vmware - no problem - found a lot of working images.

also boot time is fast.

regards, onur

• 2 weeks later...

You dont need a DS1815+ for SHR support

just edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf
comment out/delete
supportraidgroup="yes"

then add
[b]support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes"[/b]

press F5 on you web browser

Will this work in this SystemConfig: HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 / Xpenology 6.1 (Update 1) nativ installed

For God sake someone please tell me a working solution to get WOL back working in DSM 6.x. :cry:

So far I've found many ways to do it here and on the Internet, but looking now at directories in my NAS paths have changed and therefore WOL is not working.

• 1 month later...

I own a synology 212j and since I updated to DSM 6 I can't use many of synocommunity apps (sickrage, Deluge etc). I also have a Xpenology 5.2 running everything normally. If I go to DSM 6.*.* will I be able to use these apps normaly?

Edited by Guest

I own a synology 212j and since I updated to DSM 6 I can use many of synocommunity apps (sickrage, Deluge etc). I also have a Xpenology 5.2 running everything normally. If I go to DSM 6.*.* will I be able to use these apps normaly?

I no longer see Deluge with 6.1.x :sad:

It looks like many apps are dependant on a certain version of DSM.

6.1? jun 1.02a or a2 the later is only for 3617xs

its not only about dsm version (5/6) its also about the platform of the hardware

3615xs is broadwell, 3617xs is bromolow

if the package is marked for broadwell and not for bromolow it will not show up in packagemanager of 3617xs, even if the both are x86 64bit

have seen that for midnight commander package

Under 6.1.1/Jun 1.02a and DS3615xs I get Deluge as an option and I have successfully installed and run it. It seems like the DS3617xs is marketed as a platform for enterprises so, as IG-88 says, you may find that certain types of packages are less likely to be made available.