XPEnology Community

Volume entered degraded mode then another HDD crashed

karlpox

Hi,

Good day! My volume went into degraded mode with 6x3TBs. Reason was one of the drive didnt boot probably I guess after a power outage. The drive is healthy though after another reboot, but the volume already removed it and entered degraded mode. So I re-added the drive and rebuilt the raid. Now one of the drives (not the one being added) crashes somewhere after 12hours due to bad sectors. I already remapped the bad sectors twice but still I cant finish rebuilding the raid. Any idea how to fix this? Or is my raid dead already?

Karl

Attach both disks to a PC and run a SMART check.

If one disk is healty then it may be possible to reassemble the raid using Ubuntu and mdadm (The raid software Synology uses).

If both disks are 'dead' then i'm afraid the data went to bit heaven.

Posted via Xpenology.us

You might want to read through this post for some recovery options.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12528

With a recovery usb you could try performing an FSCK to see if there are some correctable errors or check the state of the disks. What raid are you using, do you have dual parity (like SHR-2 or Raid 6) or is it a single disk parity? It's common when a raid performs a rebuilt it will cause another disk failure due to all the replication the occurs. If you had dual parity you can recover in this case, with single parity it might not go so well. Let me know how things go or if you need some additional guidance.

Can you provide your disk group configurations and raid configurations.

The SMART abnormal notice means the disk is likely bad and has problems

The Crashed disk I am unsure if thats data corruption or disk problems and smart seems ok.