XPEnology Community

Downgrade from DSM 6.0

brantje

officeboy said:
Just wanted to chime in and say that downgrade does not appear to work from 6.1. :cry:

Works great, just made a downgrade (clean migration without saving settings) using the script from 6.1 on 6.0.2 ...

SCRIPT Download via Download Station into any folder and extract zip

HOW TO  
as@as-P5KC ~ $ ssh admin@172.16.200.129

admin@172.16.200.129's password:

admin@vDiskStation:/$ sudo -s

Password:

sh-4.3# /volume1/user/dwngrd.sh

Downgrade for DSM

Current version DSM

majorversion="6"

minorversion="0"

productversion="6.0.2"

buildphase="hotfix"

buildnumber="8451"

smallfixnumber="0"

builddate="2016/08/17"

buildtime="05:10:40"

Insert new majorversion

Insert new minorversion

Insert new buildnumber

Now DiskStation will power off.

Flash new bootimg on boot device and continue migration in browser

Press Enter to shutdown DiskStation or Ctrl+C to abort the shutdown

Broadcast message from admin@vDiskStation

(/dev/pts/1) at 21:36 ...

The system is going down for power off NOW!

sh-4.3# Connection to 172.16.200.129 closed by remote host.

Connection to 172.16.200.129 closed.

Hide  

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2017 at 8:12 PM, A.S._id said:

Works great, just made a downgrade (clean migration without saving settings) using the script from 6.1 on 6.0.2 ...

SCRIPT Download via Download Station into any folder and extract zip

HOW TO

excellent idea, but what if you cant even access your NAS period? especially using Juns boot loader. I suggest we start a new thread and title it downgrade from 6.1. I will post it and make my comments

On 5/15/2017 at 7:15 PM, djelusion said:

excellent idea, but what if you cant even access your NAS period? especially using Juns boot loader. I suggest we start a new thread and title it downgrade from 6.1. I will post it and make my comments

If you can't even access to NAS, you can extract HDDs from device, connect to BB (any os, the same download NAS via boot flash with ubuntu installer), open HDDs any disk editor and format the first partition from start of disk on every HDD. Then assistant to show "not installed" and you can install DSM at zero.

if you just want to "empty" your disks completly you can overwrite the master boot record in a instant and it looks like the disk has no partitions/data - !!! ALL data volumes on the disk will be gone, no old data at all after installing dsm !!!!

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

(writes zero's in the first 512 byte block of sda)

continue with sdb and so on and after less then a minute everything is unusable/gone

if you have more time and want to clean up properly (overwrite all sectors of the disk with zero)

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/19/2017 at 6:27 AM, A.S._id said:

If you can't even access to NAS, you can extract HDDs from device, connect to BB (any os, the same download NAS via boot flash with ubuntu installer), open HDDs any disk editor and format the first partition from start of disk on every HDD. Then assistant to show "not installed" and you can install DSM at zero.

Remove all but 1 drive incase you screw something up, boot into Ubuntu live USB - mount the system partition and edit the /etc.defaults/version file - save your changes and reboot.

Synology assistant or find.synology.com should detect the NAS as migrateable and you can then select the PAT file to install.

I was stupid and upgraded to 6.0.3 on my N54L and had to use this to recover.

Once the system has started, it will detect the system partitions are damaged on the other drives - so you need to click the Repair option but thats about it - no data loss.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 0:49 AM, 1450 said:

Remove all but 1 drive incase you screw something up, boot into Ubuntu live USB - mount the system partition and edit the /etc.defaults/version file - save your changes and reboot.

Synology assistant or find.synology.com should detect the NAS as migrateable and you can then select the PAT file to install.

Once the system has started, it will detect the system partitions are damaged on the other drives - so you need to click the Repair option but thats about it - no data loss.

Do i need to make the similar process since i am not on ubuntu but windows.

• 1 month later...
On 18/06/2017 at 9:49 PM, 1450 said:

Same case as you, I'm stuck with "recoverable" in DS assistant and can't make a fresh install nor choose a .pat file. So I'm interested in your solution but I can't mount any partition probably because it's "linux raid".  How did you do? I have 5 HDD in my N54L and I wouldn't like to lose data.

In case of despair, would it work to buy a DS1517?

On 5/18/2017 at 11:27 PM, A.S._id said:

I actually gave up on this.. after spending close to almost 2-3 days 10 hours a day i pretty much said forget it.. it just doesn't work..

On 6/19/2017 at 2:49 AM, 1450 said:

I had did this well the polanskiman method. I thought it worked in terms of fixing the issue but apparently no.. and believe it or not find.synology does not work anymore for my own personally bought synologys or the running fine xpeno running 5.2 still. I dont know what might have changed via synologys end but the find.syno simply doesnt work (no diskstations found in lan)

Hello

I might be doubling down previous posts that state the same, so sorry if it's the case, no time for checking right now.

I followed those guides to fix the mess that occurred during a failed upgrade:

https://www.synology.com/fr-fr/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/How_can_I_recover_data_from_my_DiskStation_using_a_PC

it's french but you should be OK (and learn a little french never hurts ;-) )

and when partition recovered

I also had trouble logging to the desktop, due to tight access rights, so this guide helped

https://superuser.com/questions/1191594/cannot-log-in-to-dsm-synology-nas/1191644#1191644?newreg=c972006f3d724685859db47d837ef430

I wish you luck