XPEnology Community

Xpenoboot - eth0 not RUNNING fixed

boefje

While running Xpenoboot, my bootlog said;

eth0 not RUNNING

eth1 not RUNNING

My machine didn't get an IP address. :sad:

A bit strange because one of my NIC's, an i219-V is apparently supported.

After some searching in the forum and googling I was able to find a workaround. However it took me quite some time so I'm posting it as a stand alone thread so others can find it more easily.

1) After the Xpenoboot installation ran, you end up with a sign in prompt.

Use user-id "root" and a password that changes every day. and here is how you can generate it;

Go to http://www.codepad.org

And past this piece of code in the editor and run the code in C. (more can be found here https://wrgms.com/synologys-secret-telnet-password/)

#include 
#include 
#include 

void main()
{
   struct timeval tvTime;
   struct tm tmOutput;

gettimeofday(&tvTime, 0);
   localtime_r(&(tvTime.tv_sec), &tmOutput);

tmOutput.tm_mon += 1;
   printf("password for today is: %x%02d-%02x%02d\n\n",
       tmOutput.tm_mon, tmOutput.tm_mon, tmOutput.tm_mday,
       gcd(tmOutput.tm_mon, tmOutput.tm_mday));
}

int gcd(int a, int b)
{
   return (b?gcd(b,a%b):a);
}

Once you're in, you need to manually assign an IP address , the subnet mask and the gateway.

Assuming you have 1 NIC called eth0 I'm going to adding it with IP address 192.168.1.100 subnetmask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.1.1

use the following 2 commands

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0

route add default gw 192.168.1.1 eth0

Now your machine should have an IP address and you can continue to install Xpenology.

nice post

If the nic driver loaded ok but no ip, did you find out why you didnt get a dhcp allocated address?

What happened after a reboot, did the DSM network settings 'stick'?

I have no idea why the NIC didn't get an IP address. The bootlog was too quick to tell whether there was any error.

After the first reboot during the install II had to give it again manually an IP address but after the installation was completed, Xpenology saw my 2 NIC's and I was able to reboot the machine from the menu without any problems. (I did give the system a fixed IP address in Xpenology)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running into this same problem but I'm unable to log in - the keyboard input isn't registered at the login prompt (it works before that when selecting Install/Upgrade so it's not a kb fault). I've tried a few different IMGs with no luck.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm running into this same problem but I'm unable to log in - the keyboard input isn't registered at the login prompt (it works before that when selecting Install/Upgrade so it's not a kb fault). I've tried a few different IMGs with no luck.

Any ideas?

Make sure you're using a PS/2 keyboard. My USB keyboard didn't work either and I had to dig out my old and trusty PS/2 one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ran into this problem yesterday--Plex not working, so I went to reboot Xpenology---nothing. After viewing the bootup info on the nas, eth0 not working! Not pulling an IP address.

As with tcn33 above, my usb keyboard is recognized at the "install/upgrade" screen, but not at the "diskstation login" prompt (tried two different keyboards). I checked, and my Xpenology PC has NO PS/2 ports! :sad:

Don't know what to do--any thoughts anyone?

UPDATE: Tried checking if Xpenology had pulled an address on the router--not there.

Am I going to have to reinstall Xpenology on the USB boot stick?

No responses, so I've been thinking about how to tackle this one myself. Possible fix ideas:

1. Unplug USB drive that Xpenoboot boots from, plug it into my Windows desktop. Use Notepad++ see if there is a config file I can edit, then look for a section that controls the assigned IP address--see if I can edit that to the correct IP so it can connect to the network again. Would that work?

2. Use the guide located here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100

Hope that migrating to 6.0 replaces/updates the config file that has lost IP connection info.

I'd really prefer to avoid upgrading to 6.0 right now. My Xpenology was working great, and I have a lot of things running on it. An update like this would introduce a lot of variables that could break other functionality.

Anyone have suggestions as to one or the other idea? I'd be happy with another option as well. Thanks!

Well, just tried idea #1 from above. Used Notepad++ to try opening up every file on the USB stick Xpenology uses to boot--all but one were filled with gobbledy-gook. syslinux.cfg had the menu options from when you first start up the Xpenology, and nothing else. So apparently the files storing the assigned IP address for my Xpenology server are not on the USB stick.

Guess I'll have to pull the main drive and see if I can find something there.

Disappointed no one else has responded to this thread--anyone's kindness in sharing their wisdom to a guy just learning Linux would be great. I sure miss my server :sad:

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm in a pretty similar situation as you.

I have a Microserver Gen8 and I have the two eth0 eth1 with the "not RUNNING" message so I can't install nothing. The usb keyboard (no PS2 is possible on my system) works only until the grub menu selection then doesn't work anymore so I can't even try to set the static IP as suggested. This for what I have understanded is due to the lack of OHCI driver that is needed for low speed devices (usb 1.1). The kernel loads only the correct EHCI driver but not OHCI and so the system can't comunicate with usb (low speed) keyboard. In the past there was some something done for add the correct driver to the bootloader but it was done only for a specific version of it (I think 4.2..) and so it's not possible to use that addon anymore.

I have checked too if it's possible to force the static IP changing something in the USB config files but I haven't found nothing. Let me know if you find something more about this problem...