XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Hi. I'm having a slight problem with the 6.0.

I followed all the instructions, had to use 'force installation' but the system is only recognising two drives out of three across the four SATA ports (only the driver connected to SATA0 and SATA1).

I tried the 'append SataPortMap=xx' command in the boot menu but it doesn't seems to do anything. I tried just '4', '44' or '22'. Still no luck. My motherboard is ASRock H61MV-ITX so all the four SATA ports should be on one controller. Any ideas, please?

EDIT: I forgot to add my system specs

Bare metal installation, Jun's official v.1.01 loader with DSM 6.0.2-8451 installed

Motherboard specs: ASRock H61MV-ITX with Pentium G2120 and 1 x 4GB DDR3 RAM

EDIT: Looks like I've sorted it. For some reason in the grub/boot menu setting the SATA ports didn't helped me. I fixed it by changing the value directly in the image and writing it again into the USB key. Oddly enough, DSM recognised my HDDs in the 'Storage Manager' like this: 1st spot occupied, 2nd spot occupied, 3rd and 4th empty followed by the 5th spot occupied. And I have 3x HDDs plugged into SATA0,SATA1 and SATA2. And I set SataPortMap value to 4.

Well, it's back up and running. It was a little painful, but not too bad. Thought I'd share about it here in case it helps someone else.

I followed this excellent guide to do an update on my current setup.

The tutorial was excellent. I decided to replace the USB key I was using to a different one, so I burned the boot image onto it, and started things up. Once I got it up and running (after a few hiccups), I found the Synology using the assistant. It said that my configuration files were gone, and I had to reinstall. Using the .pat file I was able to do so and got the Synology back and functional.

While all of my files were still there (big sigh of relief), all the configuration (downloaded packages, settings, etc.) were gone. My guess is they got corrupted, and that's why my Synology died in the first place. So I have to re-download all the packages I had (not a huge deal) and redo some of the settings. So far, the Plex package retained all its settings, which was fantastic :grin: Remains to be seen how the others will do. Hopefully it will be fairly painless.

I'm also planning to build a second Xpenology box to act as a backup server, in the event this ever happens again.

Thanks to Polanskiman for the excellent tutorial, and to Jun and the other devs who made this release possible. Very happy to have my server back, and I look forward to trying new features out.

Eveything working fine now on 6.0.2 loader v.1.01 dispite my little f**k up when I migrated. (I dident choose manual for using local .PAT)

But, with fresh install and luckely a backup it´s running smooth :smile:

So big thanks to Polanskiman for helping me out, and of course Jun for his Loader.

Sorry to hassle you, but my son's running a H97N-WIFI on DSM5.2 configured as DS3615xs with 6x4TB WD reds. He did an upgrade to Jun's loader 6.0.2 a couple of weeks ago and because of port mapping problems (couldn't see his disks), he reverted back to 5.2

I said I'd try and examine the correct port mapping for the mbrd.

His current port mapping settings for his system (as per /etc/synoinf.conf and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf) are:

maxdisks="12"

internalportcfg="0xfff"

esataportcfg="0xff000"

usbportcfg="0x300000"

I see you have been running the same mobo as him. He's not interested in SN/MAC or DDNS changes. My question is: with no change to HD configuration or other hardware, should the entries in the /etc/synoinfo.conf and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf (as shown above) remain the same for DSM 6.0.2? Is there any reason they would be different? If so?

Can you point me to any other issues that might account for the problem he experienced. Any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Rhubarb

Hi,

Posting to ask for help after reading everything I can find and pretty much at a dead end.

I have hardware I know at least one other user has working.

I bought it specifically for this build so it's new - and I have verified it works with a Win 10 install.

I am installing bare metal.

Bios I have tried legacy and EFI (I'm not conversant with a number of the options in Supermicro bios but have read what I can).

Serial port is enabled.

I'm connecting with monitor / keyboard (VGA is working ok), and have IPMI access working as well.

Hardware:

Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/D/X10SDV-4C-TLN2F.cfm

CPU and Chipset Drivers:

Broadwell based SOC

Intel® Xeon® processor D-1521

FCBGA 1667

This board has 2x 10GBase-T ports and no 1Gbe (except dedicated IPMI).

NIC:

Intel® D-1500 SoC 10GbE Controller

SoC 10GbE X552/X557-AT 10GBASE-T

Issue:

Using Jun's Loader 1.01 I can boot and get to the kernel loading. NO device detected on Synology Assistant. No device showing up on my client list in my router.

I have the PID and VID of my USB.

I have set a S/N and MAC from the excel spreadsheet, and tried the actual Hardware MAC for the NIC interface as well. No luck.

There are a lot of posts about natively included drivers and or required different drivers to be loaded etc. I *think* mine are ok based on Quicknick's compatibility list however have no clue re Jun's loader.

I thought the ixgbe driver covered this but I am uncertain if that is loading with Jun's loader.

I suspect it is the Ethernet ports but am not sure. Some posts have indicated 10GBe is not working in certain builds.

How do I check what is not working or does anyone have a suggestion at this point on what to use? (I could not find the log files..... also still quite the noob with Linux).

Hope someone can help out - I'm really hoping to use Xpenology rather than go the FreeNAS or UNRaid route etc.

EDIT:

Made progress by trying this link which related to igbe driver I think: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7507-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-602-juns-loader/?do=findComment&comment=65939

changing the sequence of the ram disk and the driver (I think the activation sequence?) seemed to work and I can now see my device on Syn assistant and have the dsm installing.

Only other small changes were to re-enter a new s/n and go back to the excel MAC address. Also changed no of NIC interfaces from 1 to 2 (does this represent ports or chipsets.... I have 3 ports and 2 chipsets).

If I want to use Wake on LAN reliably can I just change the loader MAC to the hardware MAC of my NICs? I don't access from outside my LAN (no QC etc).

I'll keep updating as maybe some of this will be useful to others :smile:

Sorry to hassle you, but my son's running a H97N-WIFI on DSM5.2 configured as DS3615xs with 6x4TB WD reds. He did an upgrade to Jun's loader 6.0.2 a couple of weeks ago and because of port mapping problems (couldn't see his disks), he reverted back to 5.2

I said I'd try and examine the correct port mapping for the mbrd.

His current port mapping settings for his system (as per /etc/synoinf.conf and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf) are:

maxdisks="12"

internalportcfg="0xfff"

esataportcfg="0xff000"

usbportcfg="0x300000"

I see you have been running the same mobo as him. He's not interested in SN/MAC or DDNS changes. My question is: with no change to HD configuration or other hardware, should the entries in the /etc/synoinfo.conf and /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf (as shown above) remain the same for DSM 6.0.2? Is there any reason they would be different? If so?

Can you point me to any other issues that might account for the problem he experienced. Any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Rhubarb

Those settings in synoinfo.conf do not need to be changed.

I can only help if you tell me the error he received when upgrading to DSM 6.0.2. Personally I had no issues but maybe it's because I always prefer to do a clean install when I upgrade to major versions.

You could try upgrading again to 6.0.2 and tell us how it goes. We can then troubleshoot. Do not move disks from their present location as that could lead to problems.

Hey Folks...

I own a HP N54L (AMD CPU) and was running 6.0 with Jun's Loader without any issues. I had a brain fart and click on the upgrade to DSM 6.1.

Now, I'm stuck on recovery mode where I can see my DSM in find.synology.com but I only get the option to recover.

If I click on the recover option... it reboots and boots back to the same state.

My ssh is disabled :sad:

Is there anyway to do a successful recovery or downgrade to 6.0???

Truly appreciate all the work and time everyone puts into this project...

Asrock j3710 / only 1 hd.

doing a fresh install but i cannot create volume. Hd is recognized fine but the button create in the volume section cannot be pressed.

I did installation of 5.2, create volume and then migrate to 6. Volume now is ok.

Do you have any idea? I am planning to add an hard disk and worried I cannot create volume on it (no raid. Simple volume)

Hi Team,

I want to migrate from 5.2 to 6.0 - I did change the SN and MAC but I'm not installing from USB pen drive but directly from HDD as I use ESXi.

Now how do I get the VID and PID (of my HDD?) as I'm not using a USB pen drive.

I'm running into the following error during installation "”Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)" and the tutorial says, this is due to wrong PID and VID.

Thanks for your help!

Volume degraded after upgrade

Successfully(?) upgraded my baremetal Supermicro X10SL7-F system to 6.0.2-8451tonight (except for fact that DSM is reporting the Volume (SHR2) as degraded and two drives are not listed in the Volume.

The missing drives appear to be listed as External Devices (eSATA device(s)) in Control Panel Info Center. Is this a PortMapping issue. Any thoughts on what's gone wrong to prevent the drives from being migrated with the other drives.

System is shown as DS3615xs with max 12 drives. Actual drives are: 4 x 8TB (WD80EFZX) and 5 x 4TB (WD40EFRX) (total 9 drives).

Volume Manager is only listing the 7 drives active in the volume (all normal). As mentioned above, it appears that the missing drives are the two eSATA devices (WD40EFRX-68WT0N0

WD40EFRX-68WT0N0) listed as External devices in Control Panel Info Center.

Any suggestion/advice on how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

hi,

the board seem to have 2+4 intel sata + 8 lsi sata/sas

you could try to set the SataPortMap=1 (1 is default on usb stick, grub.cfg) to 428 or 248 (depending on how the 2+4 sata intel onboard satas are found)

but i guess depending on boot configuration it might also be the 8 lsi's are first? (would explain that the 8 lsi disk are found an the 2 on intel are "out" of the counting for internal ports

to not risk further raid problems i would suggest to disconnect all raid drives, take a empty hdd and make an new install to this drive (with the already working 6.0.2 usb stick), with that and a second disk to connect for testing you might be able to find what SataPortMap config is working, just connct the 2nd drive on one of the controllers (intel 4x, intel 2x, lsi 8x) and see what dsm finds

you also should document witch controller is bootable and what the boot order is

i have a asrock c2550d4i and it has 2+4 intel and 2+4 marvel ports (4224 when it comes to the mapping in dsm, but i have never try'd to make the marvel bootable or change the boot order, just default and disabled boot for additional controllers)

PS: its also helpful to have a complete map ready with hdd serial numbers of drives and to witch port (hardware) they are connected, if that is compared to what dsm shows (sn's are sown) its likely to see the pattern of the mapping

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your advice IG88. I'm certain that the SATA ports come first because in the listing of the drives I was seeing in Volume Manager, there was 1 drive, followed by vacant slots, then the LSI/SAS connected drives. On that basis I think it should be 248. I'm happy to rebuild the whole array on that basis as it's all backed up on a DS1513+ running DSM6.1 with 5x8Tb drives.

Will play around with this setting and see how it goes.

Do you know how to calculate the SataPortMap for a GA-H87N-Wifi?

there is no "calculation" its just the number of ports of the controllers in a system written in a row

the mentioned bord has 6 ports provided by the h97 chipset and the naming an the block diagram from the manual give no indication the there is a difference between them (sata0-5) so the number for sataportmap would not be 6 but as i understand it its only needed if there are problems and more then one controller, if you put an additional 4 port controller into the system it would be 64 (6 on the first, 4 on the second)

it is still odd that 2 disks where missing, according to what you wrote there was just one disk on a different controller, all other disks (8) where on one lsi controller and should habe been found

you shoud test it with a clean installation on one disk and the second disk on different ports to proof the layout and that all ports are working

• Like 1

Been following this thread and the original post for a few days. I have a Microserver Gen8 which gets stuck in an install loop. Looking back at the instructions the only thing I haven't check is enabling serial port in bios. Could that have an issue? I also have another question. My prospective NAS has 4 bays. The first is filled with a blank HD. I will eventually add 2 drives from my old 212j (After having first migrated the data over). In terms of "SataPortMap" whats should I add for th initial install? The number of bays, the number of current Has or the number I will end up with? I assume 4 right?

Thanks.