XPEnology Community

qnap nas blinking lights

Alacard

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I had a synology NAS (1010) before and loved there software but didnt care for there hardware (Was a little over priced for what you get) then i found the QNAP TVS-EC1080 and it was love at first sight but from past experience didnt care for qnap software thats when i found XPEnology. long story short got the nas, setup it up and it worked! but soon found a little problem the hard drive lights keeps blinking none stop. seeing as the hard drives i put in it is new not that bad of a problem (yes i no new HDD can ship bad sometimes). And seeing how the hard drives are not mapped 1 to 1 (HDD slot 1 in synology is really HDD slot 3) i can see where this can become a problem if one of the hdd did die/crash, I want be able to tell what one because all of them are blinking. so hoping someone knows a fix for this problem.

P.S. Here a picture of the lights (turned the lights off so you can see them better, let me no if its to dark)

Z9Wpsc8.jpg?1

I dont think you will find a solution to the drive bay vs Storage Manager mapping, you are 'stuck' with how the XPE drivers and DSM enumerate the disks. I think your only option is to manually label the drive bays to match DSM. At least if 'drive 1' fails, you know its your 'bay 4' for example. Suggest you;

Shut down

Remove 'bay 1' - note the serial no - Replace

Repeat for bays 2-10

Check Storage Manager and 'map' the bays to the DSM order using the S/N as a guide

For the HDD lights, are they all flashing on/off all together? If yes then I think its because the disk LED controller is proprietary to Qnap O/S and as its not there they are in 'error' mode. Again, you might be stuck with that if you want to run DSM. :sad:

I dont think you will find a solution to the drive bay vs Storage Manager mapping, you are 'stuck' with how the XPE drivers and DSM enumerate the disks. I think your only option is to manually label the drive bays to match DSM. At least if 'drive 1' fails, you know its your 'bay 4' for example. Suggest you;

Shut down

Remove 'bay 1' - note the serial no - Replace

Repeat for bays 2-10

Check Storage Manager and 'map' the bays to the DSM order using the S/N as a guide

Great minds think a like, end up doing that right after is posted

For the HDD lights, are they all flashing on/off all together? If yes then I think its because the disk LED controller is proprietary to Qnap O/S and as its not there they are in 'error' mode. Again, you might be stuck with that if you want to run DSM. :sad:

Yes, all HDD lights (HDD in use (green), and bad/crash lights (red)) are flashing on/off together. Is there a way to check if its stuck in error mode (driver problem maybe)

P.S. Linux not my first language, so go easy on me ^^

I guess if you could find out how the LEDs are controlled, the chipset used, how to control the outputs eg status/green/red good/bad etc, you might be able to write some code to emulate the qnap functionality. It would be a work of art if you could :smile:

Provided Storage Manager is showing all the disks are ok you dont have any problems. I think your disk status monitoring option is limited to what DSM can offer. For example, you could setup 'Notifications' to email or txt you on a disk error.