XPEnology Community

Problem with graphics card

holybabel

Hi everyone,

i use a Intel SS4200 as xpenology server. This machine doesn't have a built in graphics card and only a pcie x1 slot. I bought a pcie x1 to x16 riser cable and attached an (very) old Club 3D X300S graphics card. Now evertime i want to install a new XPEnoboot-loader i have to disconnect the graphics card because the system hangs at variable points when i leave the graphics card attached. When i install the bootloader without graphics card and then reboot the system with attached graphics card everything works.

Can someone help me with this one? Is the graphics card too old? Do i need a newer one?

Greetings holybabel

as an idea, when you create your new bootloader, set the default XPE boot option to 'install/upgrade', by editing the syslinux.cfg menu settings. Once you have done the upgrade, edit the file back to the normal boot option.

that way you dont need any graphics card attached any time

I use the graphic card to boot into a live linux system. After some testing with a new bootloader on a usb stick i boot a linux live system to "install" the bootloader onto the internal pata DOM device.

And sometimes the boot priority is mixed up, so i have to access the bios to correct it again.

Hello,

I have just purchased a Synology DS215j and i was pleasently amazed with its interface and functions!

I also have an old Intel SS4200-E and i m very interested to upgrade it with XPEnology and get rid of the dumb EMC Software if its possible!

Is there any tutorial on how to set up the SS4200 with XPEnology?

I have searched the internet and didnt find anything

Thanks in advance!

I use the graphic card to boot into a live linux system. After some testing with a new bootloader on a usb stick i boot a linux live system to "install" the bootloader onto the internal pata DOM device.

And sometimes the boot priority is mixed up, so i have to access the bios to correct it again.

I started off using a USB flash drive for the boot loader. Once I got the Sinology DSM up and running, I logged in to it via SSH and installed the boot loader to the DOM from there. I never needed a video card.

Keep in mind that even though the boot loader is on the DOM, the system may still change the boot order when there's a drive change. You can either hold the reset button while turning it on to force it to load from the DOM or blindly set the DOM to be the boot device in BIOS. I found instructions on how to do this via google.

Hello,

I have just purchased a Synology DS215j and i was pleasently amazed with its interface and functions!

I also have an old Intel SS4200-E and i m very interested to upgrade it with XPEnology and get rid of the dumb EMC Software if its possible!

Is there any tutorial on how to set up the SS4200 with XPEnology?

I have searched the internet and didnt find anything

Thanks in advance!

1. Create a USB flash drive with the XPEnology boot loader.

2. Plug the USB flash drive to one of the SS4200's USB ports (it doesn't matter which one).

3. Hold the reset button in the back of the SS4200 while powering up. When you see the LED in the power button turn orange, you can let go of the reset button.

4. Done. You can now use the Synology Assistant to look for the SS4200 and begin setting up the DSM.

The SS4200 is a fantastic NAS to use for this because everything works including wake-on-lan without any extra work. I had mine running XPEnoboot 5.2-5592 and 5.2-5644 without any issues at all.

I started off using a USB flash drive for the boot loader. Once I got the Sinology DSM up and running, I logged in to it via SSH and installed the boot loader to the DOM from there. I never needed a video card.

How did you manage to access the DOM from within xpenology? I tried to find the DOM via ssh and "fdisk -l" command, but i only see my 3 2TB Disks and my USB Stick.

DiskStation> fdisk -l | grep Disk
Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
Disk /dev/sdb: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
Disk /dev/sdc: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
Disk /dev/synoboot: 65 MB, 65536000 bytes

Do i have to mount the DOM or use a special command?

Greetings HolyBabel

2. Plug the USB flash drive to one of the SS4200's USB ports (it doesn't matter which one).

3. Hold the reset button in the back of the SS4200 while powering up. When you see the LED in the power button turn orange, you can let go of the reset button.

4. Done. You can now use the Synology Assistant to look for the SS4200 and begin setting up the DSM.

The SS4200 is a fantastic NAS to use for this because everything works including wake-on-lan without any extra work. I had mine running XPEnoboot 5.2-5592 and 5.2-5644 without any issues at all.

Many thanks for you encouraging message. I m a bit skeptical on the procedure since SS4200 is a headless unit and I will not have visual messages of the bios. I have seen messages of other people connecting temporary vga’s for upgrading purposes. Are we sure that no keystrokes will be needed during the procedure?

So the image of XPEnoboot 5.2-5644.4 will work fine? I Just put it to a USB with any Boot-USB Creation Utility? no any special settings needed and no special configuration of the image?

I’m really excited about the possibility of the upgrade but don’t want to risk anything.

Of course all the data will be backed-up and the disks ready for reconfigurations, but still I see some posts that a can’t completely understand.

Some people use SSD chase and loosing 2 bays for that? For what purpose?

On a simple configuration XPEnology is installed on the hard drives as data? Is there a meaning to be installed on a usb-stick permanently attached to SS4200 or elsewhere? A few blurry questions…

I m pretty sure i m losing something in the procedure... what is SSH and for what is needed? What is DOM?

How much RAM is needed for XPEnology Instalation? I currently have 512MB installed, I should upgrade to 2GB?

Edited by Guest

Many thanks for you encouraging message. I m a bit skeptical on the procedure since SS4200 is a headless unit and I will not have visual messages of the bios. I have seen messages of other people connecting temporary vga’s for upgrading purposes. Are we sure that no keystrokes will be needed during the procedure?

So the image of XPEnoboot 5.2-5644.4 will work fine? I Just put it to a USB with any Boot-USB Creation Utility? no any special settings needed and no special configuration of the image?

I’m really excited about the possibility of the upgrade but don’t want to risk anything.

Of course all the data will be backed-up and the disks ready for reconfigurations, but still I see some posts that a can’t completely understand.

Some people use SSD chase and loosing 2 bays for that? For what purpose?

On a simple configuration XPEnology is installed on the hard drives as data? Is there a meaning to be installed on a usb-stick permanently attached to SS4200 or elsewhere? A few blurry questions…

I m pretty sure i m losing something in the procedure... what is SSH and for what is needed?

You don't need any video!! Look at the real Synology devices, they don't have video out either. Everything can be done via the web-based interface. Just follow the directions I gave and you will be up and running within minutes.

You don't need to know what SSH is. That message was not directed to you.

Strange, my fdisk doesn't show the DOM, as you can see in my post before.

Here is what I get when I use fdisk -l. You can clearly see it is listed as /dev/sdg. Then you can just use dd to copy the image to your DOM. If you don't see your DOM listed, maybe your DOM is not working properly.

XPEnology> fdisk -l
fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them

Disk /dev/sda: 2199.0 GB, 2199023255040 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 267349 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda1               1      267350  2147483647+ ee EFI GPT

Disk /dev/sdb: 2199.0 GB, 2199023255040 bytes

/dev/sdb1               1      267350  2147483647+ ee EFI GPT

Disk /dev/sdc: 2199.0 GB, 2199023255040 bytes

/dev/sdc1               1      267350  2147483647+ ee EFI GPT

Disk /dev/sdd: 2199.0 GB, 2199023255040 bytes

/dev/sdd1               1      267350  2147483647+ ee EFI GPT

Disk /dev/sdg: 16.0 GB, 16099835904 bytes
4 heads, 32 sectors/track, 245664 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 128 * 512 = 65536 bytes

/dev/sdg1   *           1         384       24544+  e Win95 FAT16 (LBA)