XPEnology Community

What hardware are you using?

brantje

This is for bare metal installations only!

I'm gathering information so i can build a nice database of supported hardware by Xpenology

Requirements:

Provide me with the following details

Type

Supported hardware types for now:

- CPU

- Motherboard

- RAM

- SATA Card

- SAS Card

- SCSI Card

- Network card

- Harddrive

- USB Wifi

Manufacturer and model

Thanks in advance =)

Avoton C2550

ASRock C2550D4I

4x1GB ECC DDR3 unbuffered

Built-in Marvell SE9230, SE9172, and Intel SATA controllers

Built-in Intel i210

Seagate 8TB archive hard drives

XPEnoboot 5.1-5055, everything works except wake-on-LAN.

XPEnoboot 5.2-5592, SATA2 controllers need to be disabled. Wake-on-LAN works.

Supermicro MBD-X10SRI-F-O, 16gb Kingston ECC Ram (KVR21R15S4/8), Intel built-in network, 2630l V3. Hypertheading is off because Xpenology only sees 8 cores. 10 Intel Sata ports on-board.

Previous was Supermicro C2750, 8 gb Kingston ECC Ram (KVR16LSE11/4KF), built-in Intel ethernet.6 Intel Sata ports on-board.

wdred 3 tb drives.

Smallest amount of ram I could find on compatability chart in both cases. 4gb would be enough.

Edited by Guest

Supermicro MBD-X10SRI-F-O, 16gb Kingston ECC Ram, Intel built-in network, 2630l V3. Hypertheading is off because Xpenology only sees 8 cores. 10 Intel Sata ports on-board.

Previous was Supermicro C2750, 8 gb Kingston ECC Ram, built-in Intel ethernet.6 Intel Sata ports on-board.

wdred 3 tb drives.

Smallest amount of ram I could find on compatability chart in both cases. 4gb would be enough.

You got a serial / model for the RAM?

Avoton C2550

ASRock C2550D4I

Built-in Intel i210

What manufacturer and model is the ram?

Avoton C2550

ASRock C2550D4I

Built-in Intel i210

What manufacturer and model is the ram?

They are stock Hynix RAM that came with a Mac Pro 5,1. I don't have model.

First post guys :smile:

Found this placeby coincidence, when I got fed up with my Qnap 410s after a 3 TB HDD crash :sad::eek: , I had an old Pc in the cupboard and tried out a Nanoboot with 5.0 on a flash and bang I had a new synology

:grin::grin::grin:

So my new NAS now runs on:

gigabyte ga- 73pvm-s2

Core Duo 1.83

4 Gb Ram

Corsair 420 psu

3 x 3 TB western digital red

1 x 2 TB western digital green

1 x 1 western digital green

All in a Fractal design R4 box with 2 Noctua 140m pwm fans

This is now a very fast NAS and absolutely reliable, it has been going in a month with no hiccups. And it is very, very silent. yes it uses more power. But it is just so much faster to operate and hand tasks.

Hands down I bought the box for 95 Euro for this project, i had the rest.

I am still a happy camper

Cheers

First post guys :smile:

Found this placeby coincidence, when I got fed up with my Qnap 410s after a 3 TB HDD crash :sad::eek: , I had an old Pc in the cupboard and tried out a Nanoboot with 5.0 on a flash and bang I had a new synology

:grin::grin::grin:

So my new NAS now runs on:

gigabyte ga- 73pvm-s2

Core Duo 1.83

4 Gb Ram

Corsair 420 psu

3 x 3 TB western digital red

1 x 2 TB western digital green

1 x 1 western digital green

All in a Fractal design R4 box with 2 Noctua 140m pwm fans

This is now a very fast NAS and absolutely reliable, it has been going in a month with no hiccups. And it is very, very silent. yes it uses more power. But it is just so much faster to operate and hand tasks.

Hands down I bought the box for 95 Euro for this project, i had the rest.

I am still a happy camper

Cheers

Nice, good job!

Did you try DSM 5.2 5565? That has docker in it ^_^

Nice, good job!

Did you try DSM 5.2 5565? That has docker in it ^_^

N0 I have not tried nothing else i.e : If it works, don't break it. :smile:

It nags for update, but thats all. No its working perfect, so why bother ?

Its absolutely amazing that an old, old computer, graveyard like can become a super NAS. I mean I would not even have given it to my kids.... but as a NAS it rocks.

I will update when I am sure that everything works, and 5.2 is not generally working yet, so why try ?

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

I am a new Xpenology user who has just moved from a real Synology DS1812+ to a custom build and thought that I would share my experiences with the hardware I purchased for the project. :smile:

Type

- CPU = 2 X Intel Xeon E5-2418L

- Motherboard = Supermicro X9DBL-iF

- RAM = 6 X 8GB Samsung PC3-12800R

- SATA Card = Onboard SATA disabled, but does natively work

- SAS Card = 3 X Dell H200 HBA's flashed with LSI 9211-8i IT firmware

- SCSI Card = None

- Network card = 2 X onboard Intel 82574L + 1 X HP NC364T PCI-E quad port nic

- Harddrive = 5 X 2TB WD RED + 2 X 4TB WD RED + 2 X 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1 X 750GB Seagate Barracuda + 2 X Samsung 850 PRO SSD's + 3 X HP branded 500GB SATA Seagete Enterprise drives

- USB Wifi = None

I basically stuck it all together in a 4U rackmount case with hot swap drive bays, plugged in a USB stick with Xpenoboot 5.2-5644.4 and it has basically all worked natively an absolute treat!

We have made a couple of tweaks here and there in order to make it align to our requirements such as remove the 12 hard drive limitation of the original Synology model the image is made from, but other than that, it's pretty much all just worked!

The only other thing to note is that I did flash the HBA's to LSI's native HBA firmware, however I do believe that you could just stick with the Dell firmware too. :smile:

I use this device for a whole heap of services such as file sharing locally, cloud station syncing internally and externally, downloads, Plex for use internally by ourselves and externally shared with around 5 people, etc.

My primary objective was to ensure that it could handle a number of simultaneous HD streams with Plex being transcoded and it seems to handle around 6 spfully transcoded streams without a hitch!

I hope that helps everyone!

Kind Regards,

Josh

Hello all!

I am a new Xpenology user who has just moved from a real Synology DS1812+ to a custom build and thought that I would share my experiences with the hardware I purchased for the project. :smile:

Type

- SCSI Card = None

- Harddrive = 5 X 2TB WD RED + 2 X 4TB WD RED + 2 X 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1 X 750GB Seagate Barracuda + 2 X Samsung 850 PRO SSD's + 3 X HP branded 500GB SATA Seagete Enterprise drives

- USB Wifi = None

I basically stuck it all together in a 4U rackmount case with hot swap drive bays, plugged in a USB stick with Xpenoboot 5.2-5644.4 and it has basically all worked natively an absolute treat!

We have made a couple of tweaks here and there in order to make it align to our requirements such as remove the 12 hard drive limitation of the original Synology model the image is made from, but other than that, it's pretty much all just worked!

The only other thing to note is that I did flash the HBA's to LSI's native HBA firmware, however I do believe that you could just stick with the Dell firmware too. :smile:

I use this device for a whole heap of services such as file sharing locally, cloud station syncing internally and externally, downloads, Plex for use internally by ourselves and externally shared with around 5 people, etc.

My primary objective was to ensure that it could handle a number of simultaneous HD streams with Plex being transcoded and it seems to handle around 6 spfully transcoded streams without a hitch!

Kind Regards,

Josh

With such power i hope you installed Xpenology in a VM.

I've added some of your hardware to the list (thanks!).

However, i can't find the Dell H200 HBA, you do got a link? (Ebay would be great).

Posted via MyXpenology

Hello all!

Type

- SCSI Card = None

- USB Wifi = None

Kind Regards,

Josh

With such power i hope you installed Xpenology in a VM.

I've added some of your hardware to the list (thanks!).

However, i can't find the Dell H200 HBA, you do got a link? (Ebay would be great).

Posted via MyXpenology

Hey Brantje,

I had thought about installing VMware ESXi 5.5 as this is what i have done in the past years with my previous servers, however this time round, i wanted to see if DSM would run straight on the bare metal which it does wonderfully! The only thing i am now waiting on is for the VirtualBox package to work as that would then allow me to share the hardware with a couple of VMs.

Many thanks for adding the hardware to the list, i can go ahead and add in the rest when i have a moment so hopefully people can benefit from it if they are building a similar system. :smile:

As for the Dell H200, they sell it as a RAID card, however i wouldnt ever use it as such. As an HBA though, it works great! Here is a link to a current listing on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-RAID-H200-047MCV-6gb-s-SAS-SATA-Controller-/172087807355?hash=item28113b8d7b:g:Co0AAOSwX~dWspkL

Kind Regards,

Josh

Hi, this is my specs:

-CPU = Intel® Quad-Core Pentium® Processor N3700

-MB = Asrock N3700M

-RAM = 2x4GB

-SATA = Onboard SATA and Syba PCI-e (2 ports SATA III, low profile)

-Network = Onboard Realtek RTL8111GR

-Wlan USB = RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN

-H.D.'s = 2x 2TB WD20EACS

-MicroPSU = 160W

-Case = Cooler Master RC-110-KKN2 (it's mini Atx but i modified a few little for micro ATX :wink: )

-System ver = DSM 5.2-5644 Update 3 (usb 16GB hidden in case)

It's solid, all perfect.

I originally built this NAS for use with FreeNAS, but switched over to XPEnology and DSM. It's been running great on DSM 5.2-5644 [no update] ever since the initial install, and it's much easier to setup/maintain compared to FreeNAS 9.3.1. So I thought I'd share my build:

- CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell [4+4 cores] 3.4 GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 80W BX80646E31231V3 Server Processor

- Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C222 DDR3 1600 [2x GB Ethernet ports; 8 USB 3 & 2 ports; 2x SATA (6Gbps), 4x SATA (3Gbps) + 8x SAS2 (6Gbps) via LSI 2308 (re-flashed change RAID config); integrated video card with remote IPMI/GUI; and microATX form factor]

- Memory: Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B

- Boot Disk: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB 3/2 Flash Drive Model SDCZ33-016G-B35 [will eventually go to the Supermicro SATADOM 32 GB Internal Solid State Drive Model SSD-DM032-PHI (I had for FreeNAS)]

- Storage: 6 x 3TB WD Red and 2 x 6TB WD Red [running SH Raid [single drive failure protect]

- Case: Fractal Node 804 NAS Case (with plenty of fans, holds 12 hard drives)

- Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum SS-520FL2 Modular

Primarily use for Cloud, file sharing, PLEX to numerous devices, backing up other NAS' on system, etc. Oh yeah, I appreciate the insight from forum members about "not fixing anything that ain't broken"!!!!

I originally built this NAS for use with FreeNAS, but switched over to XPEnology and DSM. It's been running great on DSM 5.2-5644 [no update] ever since the initial install, and it's much easier to setup/maintain compared to FreeNAS 9.3.1. So I thought I'd share my build:

- CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell [4+4 cores] 3.4 GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 80W BX80646E31231V3 Server Processor

- Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C222 DDR3 1600 [2x GB Ethernet ports; 8 USB 3 & 2 ports; 2x SATA (6Gbps), 4x SATA (3Gbps) + 8x SAS2 (6Gbps) via LSI 2308 (re-flashed change RAID config); integrated video card with remote IPMI/GUI; and microATX form factor]

- Memory: Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B

- Boot Disk: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB 3/2 Flash Drive Model SDCZ33-016G-B35 [will eventually go to the Supermicro SATADOM 32 GB Internal Solid State Drive Model SSD-DM032-PHI (I had for FreeNAS)]

- Storage: 6 x 3TB WD Red and 2 x 6TB WD Red [running SH Raid [single drive failure protect]

- Case: Fractal Node 804 NAS Case (with plenty of fans, holds 12 hard drives)

- Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum SS-520FL2 Modular

Primarily use for Cloud, file sharing, PLEX to numerous devices, backing up other NAS' on system, etc. Oh yeah, I appreciate the insight from forum members about "not fixing anything that ain't broken"!!!!

Hi, this is my specs:

-CPU = Intel® Quad-Core Pentium® Processor N3700

-MB = Asrock N3700M

-RAM = 2x4GB

-SATA = Onboard SATA and Syba PCI-e (2 ports SATA III, low profile)

-Network = Onboard Realtek RTL8111GR

-Wlan USB = RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN

-H.D.'s = 2x 2TB WD20EACS

-MicroPSU = 160W

-Case = Cooler Master RC-110-KKN2 (it's mini Atx but i modified a few little for micro ATX :wink: )

-System ver = DSM 5.2-5644 Update 3 (usb 16GB hidden in case)

It's solid, all perfect.

I Want that case, can you show me some pictures from your modification?

Thanks in advance

My build is an Intel Nuc D54250WYKH2 with a Fantec 4 bay enclosure that supports e-Sata and USB 3.0. Although theoretically 1 Gbps slower I chose USB 3.0 over SATA because I need to leave the NUC open to connect SATA whereas I can just connect USB on the back. I really like this setup. It's rather fast, silent, power efficient and compact.

My build is an Intel Nuc D54250WYKH2 with a Fantec 4 bay enclosure that supports e-Sata and USB 3.0. Although theoretically 1 Gbps slower I chose USB 3.0 over SATA because I need to leave the NUC open to connect SATA whereas I can just connect USB on the back. I really like this setup. It's rather fast, silent, power efficient and compact.

You need to break out the Dremel. :shock:

MB: Supermicro X8DT6-F

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon L5630 Quad-Core with HT @2.13GHz (16 Cores Total)

RAM: 12x 4GB DDR3 ECC Kingston 1066MHz Registered DIMMs (48GB Total)

Chassis: Chenbro RM23612 12-Bay Hotswap SAS/SATA 2U Chassis

DISK Controller: LSI 2008 Onboard 8 port SAS flashed to IT mode + 6x Onboard SATA (14 drive capacity)

LAN: 4x Intel GbE Nics (2x onboard 2x PCI-E ) + 1 Dedicated IPMI

HDD: 6x Western Digital RE4 2TB Enterprise disks (Block level iSCSI) + 6x 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda (Movies/TV/DATA)

SSD: 2x OCZ Deneva 2 SLC 32GB drives for cache

PSU: Seasonic 400W 80+ Gold

DSM: XPEnoboot 5.2-5644.5 + DSM 5.2-5644 update 3

I will soon be replacing the Dual Nic PCI-E card for a dual port Chelsio 10GbE card

This box is mainly used for iSCSI to my ESXi hosts. I added a second array of disks as a standard volume for Movies/TV/Data. I will soon be migrating my plex server to run off this box.