XPEnology Community

[ESXi] How to migrate from 4.3 (trantor) to 5.0 (nanoboot)?

Panja

I'm running DSM 4.3 3827 for a while now using the Trantor ESXi v1.2 release.

I would like to upgrade to the latest Nanoboot with DSM 5.0 4493.

What is the best way to update to this version without losing settings, folder and files?

This is my setup:

ESXi 5.5 (build 1892794) running a few Windows VM's and my XPenology VM's.

XPEnology:

Other 2.6.x Linux x64

2x vCores

2GB ram

HDD 1 = IDE (0:0) - synoboot_trantor_3827_esxi_v1.2.vmdk

HDD 2 = SCSI (0:0) paravirtual - dsm_hdd_02.vmdk

All my files and folders are stored on the 2nd hdd. But where is the Synology ram disk (settings) stored?

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever figure this out? I just found out about this amazing project but used an older 4.3 guide to install. I did a lot of setup work before I realized 5.0 was out. I want to move to that but like you don't want to lose any of the work I've put in or files transferred over.

If anyone has any links or success stories, please share.

OK for anyone else wondering I ended up following the guides at http://www.xpenology.nl/ to install a new ESXI VM. But I powered off my 4.3 VM and used it's vmdk as the second hard disk. Then I booted the VM, chose the 2nd option to install/upgrade. Synology Assistant came up saying it was Migratable. I went through the install process and it warned about how the disk was going to be wiped multiple times. I installed and it went fine. After I logged in a bunch of my shared folders were missing. Turns out the admin user lost all permissions. once I gave it read/write, it showed up in File Station. Now I'm on 5.0, woooo!

Hi There. I am currently on the same boat, while I'm still running on an earlier Trantor 4.2-3202 over ESXi, I am worried about the upgrade will wipe out the Data. If anyone can advise a workable step by step procedure, I would be much appreciated. Cheers !